We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Dublin for Five days

Phoenix, Arizona
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
In Dublin for Five days

My husband is going to Dublin for work for five days, and I will be joining him. Any good ideas of what I/ We should see in such a limited time frame around Dublin and surrounding areas? Any suggestions for good guided day tours out of Dublin?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
238 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In Dublin for Five days

Five days is a great amount of time to see Dublin (for you, at least -- hubby will probably be working all day). But as long as you are game to do some sightseeing solo, there are tons of great things to see and do. Out of the city, there are day tours to Newgrange, which is unbelievable. If you appreciate some of the ancient native sites in your own state, you will flip for Newgrange. There are also day trips to the Wicklow Mountains/Glendalough area, also strikingly beautiful.

I was in a similar situation with my hubby in London several years back. On my first day there I got a ticket for a sightseeing bus tour through the city itself (you know: one of those on/of trolley jobs). It gave me the lay of the city, and it built my confidence that I could find my way around alone. Plus it highlighted all the cool things that as a tourist I wanted to check off of my list. While I have not taken a similar tour in Dublin, I imagine they are there and would be equally helpful for you. Then in the evening, you can play tourguide to your husband.

Sorry I don't have specific recommendations for tour companies. A quick google resulted in at least 10 good possibilities. Pick a couple and search these forums for comments and reviews. And I'm sure that some of the brilliant locals will have more to add, especially if you tell us some of the kinds of things you might be interested in (art, culture, history, beer, hiking, music, food, etc).

Have fun!

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,855 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In Dublin for Five days

Hi there, KimmerU, good to see you're still hanging around this forum!

trafan, I am sure you won't be bored for the five days in Dublin. Apart from doing all the usual stuff (Trinity College and the Book of Kells, Dublin Castle, Kilmainham Gaol, Guinness Storehouse etc.) you could have a look at dublinbus.ie/your_journey/sightseeing_tours.… and also visitdublin.com/SeeAndDo/… There is a very good tourist information centre in St. Andrew Street, make sure to go there and get your free map of Dublin and any other information you might need. Glendalough in the Wicklow mountains would be a lovely trip for both of you. …connect.ie/pages/…Anchor-Travelling-6296 has information about getting there. Newgrange would be another idea, see the second website I listed above.