We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kilmainham Jail "Met Michael Mallin's son"

Pa
Level Contributor
111 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Kilmainham Jail "Met Michael Mallin's son"

Prior to being execuited in 1916 Michael Mallin was allowed to have his wife and 2 year old son visit him at the prison. When visiting Kilmainham Prison in April I noticed in the court yard where they excuited 14 members of the Easter Uprising that they were shooting a documentary of a 92 year old Jesuit priest named Joesph Mallin (the 2 yr old son that came to the prison to see his father before he was execuited). I got a picture with father Mallin and would like to know what is the name of this documentary and where can I get a copy? Thank You!!!!!!!

Dublin
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kilmainham Jail "Met Michael Mallin's son"

Are you sure they were defintely doing a documentary? I know with 90th anniversay of the rising there was a lot of presentations and wreath laying ceremonys on in the Jail that Joseph Mallin attended. He is the only surviving child of any of the executed from that era. I can't find any information on a documentary.

Pa
Level Contributor
111 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kilmainham Jail "Met Michael Mallin's son"

Yes, our guide said they were doing a documentary and actually saw them shooting video. Maybe someone at the prison would have informatios?

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,641 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kilmainham Jail "Met Michael Mallin's son"

There was an item on this evening's main RTE news about today's wreath laying ceremony in Arbour Hill in commemoration of the executed leaders of 1916. They showed Joseph Mallin at this ceremony and also at Kilmainham Gaol (this bit had obviously been filmed a little while ago). I wonder whether this was what you saw being filmed? It was just part of this particular news item, there was no mention of a documentary. If you get in touch with RTE directly (www.rte.ie) they might be able to help you.

Pa
Level Contributor
111 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kilmainham Jail "Met Michael Mallin's son"

Thanks!! We saw Father Mallin at the jail on the 26th of April.

Dublin
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kilmainham Jail "Met Michael Mallin's son"

Well if it was April 26th when you saw were there and the documentary was being filmed that day he mostly likely has not been released yet. RTE may be able to help you with the title for it but I very much doubt it is available for you to get a copy at this time. It's probably still in editing and all that.