We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

USA traveler using Hertz Car Rental-insurance required?

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
34 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
USA traveler using Hertz Car Rental-insurance required?

I've heard conflicting info between AAA Auto Club and posters on here. AAA tells me I absolutely do NOT have to purchase insurance of any kind for my rental. But some on here say that I MUST. Has anyone on here ever used Hertz at Shannon Airport withOUT having to purchase insurance? And if so, what sorts of documents did they require from you at the Hertz Rental desk at Shannon Airport?

documenreqatherentdesintell me

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,132 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: USA traveler using Hertz Car Rental-insurance required?

I don't know any car rental company anywhere that will let you rent a car without insurance.

Or am I misunderstanding your question and you're asking if your coverage from home on your personal vehicle will cover you on a rental in Ireland? Very few, if any, US insurance policies will cover a rental in a foreign country.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,092 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: USA traveler using Hertz Car Rental-insurance required?

In all the research I did about car rental insurance for Ireland, the only way I found to avoid paying for CDW was to rent a car using World Mastercard. Most, but not all World Mastercards, will cover the CDW in Ireland if you use it to pay for the rental and if you specifically decline the CDW. You must also have the right documentation from Mastercard to present to the car rental company. If you have a World Mastercard, you need to call 1-800-MC-ASSIST to see if your card qualifies and to have them send you the documentation that you need.

If you do not have a qualifying World Mastercard, I think you are going to have to bite the bullet and purchase either CDW or Super CDW. As already stated, U.S. car insurance policies generally do not cover cars rented overseas.

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
34 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: USA traveler using Hertz Car Rental-insurance required?

Thanks for info. Hertz confirmed that they won't require any insurance. They will, however, place a $3,000.00 hold on my credit card if I don't purchase insurance. They said to avoid that hold, I should have my credit card company give me a letter stating that I am "otherwise covered." Has anyone else heard such from Hertz?

Valley Mills, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: USA traveler using Hertz Car Rental-insurance required?

Visiting Ireland again in June and had same ? about CDW although renting car from Budget. I called since I do have a World MC and they do indeed cover you if you pay with that card. I was advised to call a month in advance and let them know so they could send me letter. But this does NOT cover liability on another vehicle..one more bit of advice..unless on a major highway roads are very narrow so just remember the larger the vehicle the less space you have..so go small

California
Level Contributor
194 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: USA traveler using Hertz Car Rental-insurance required?

Read this thread, and consider purchasing the extra insurance.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k59788…

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
34 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: USA traveler using Hertz Car Rental-insurance required?

Thanks so much for this information. I don't have that sort of credit card; but my bank said the same thing. And YES! I'm looking to get as small of a car as possible (but one big enough to carry 3 adults and 3 decent sized suitcases). I think I'm going to go test drive a Nissan Micra (economy) and a Mazda 3 (compact). Those roads are crazy narrow! It scares me!

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
34 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: USA traveler using Hertz Car Rental-insurance required?

I know for certain that my car insurance in USA will not cover my car rental in Ireland. What I had read somewhere (and then later confirmed with my bank) was that some CREDIT CARDS, if you use them to pay for your rental, will cover you for collision and theft. Mine, in fact, does. I just wanted to know if Hertz was going to FORCE me to buy insurance. (I don't even have an issue about the price they are charging for the insurance. I had just heard horrible stories of how the insurance you buy from them covers just about nothing. So, I figured, I'd pass on it & take my chances.)

It turns out that a Hertz rep, from the International Rental area, told me that they would accept my credit card's insurance so long as I got a letter stating that I do, in fact have the coverage. Otherwise (and maybe even with the letter), I'd have to allow them to place a 3000 Euro hold on my credit card.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,092 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: USA traveler using Hertz Car Rental-insurance required?

We have rented twice from Hertz in Ireland (once in Dublin; once in Shannon) using our World Mastercard coverage. While we had the required paperwork each time from Mastercard, the people working at the Hertz counter did not ask to see it. We simply told them we were covered, declined the CDW and paid with our Mastercard. They did not make any attempt to force us to buy any insurance. I do not know if they put any sort of hold on our credit card, but if they do so, I don't see how you can avoid it.

Dublin
Level Contributor
59 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: USA traveler using Hertz Car Rental-insurance required?

If you are coming from the states I would advise you not to try use your credit card to cover you. The main reason is that the car hire company will get you to sign a document stating that you decline damage waiver and are responsible for the FULL VALUE of the car.

Cars in Ireland are expensive. An automatic golf would cost over $40,000. If the car is stolen, goes on fire or is badly damaged you will be responsible for paying that back. Most car hire companies will not deal with your credit card company directly. They will charge you for the damage and then its up to you to chase your credit card company to get it back. And believe me they make it very difficult.

So if you decline the damage waiver they will generally hold about 2 - €3000 on your card. Do you really want to spend your whole holiday worrying about your car parked in the hotel car park?

The best thing to do is book on the irish version of their website. So instead of hertz.com or thrifty.com book on hertz.ie or thrifty.ie. When you do book on the irish version the price quoted includes damage waiver. You will still have a deductable ranging from €1000 -€2000 but this can be reduced for about €15 a day for zero deductable.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,154 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: USA traveler using Hertz Car Rental-insurance required?

I booked with Thrifty.com, used our MC World Card (with proper written documentation), and waived all offered coverages . . . and had ZERO issues with anything. That was out of Dublin in April 2012. Oh yeah, and our total rental for 15 days in a compact car (Toyota Auris) was a $220 (including taxes, fees, etc) plus the first tank of gas.

Edited: 09 January 2013, 13:56