We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What part of Dublin to stay in?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
667 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
What part of Dublin to stay in?

How important is it to stay in the central part of Dublin (Dublin 1 or 2)? I notice that a lot of the top rated hotels are farther out. How long does it take to get from an area like Ballsbridge into the center?

I'm going to be visiting for the 1st time with my sons, who are 21 and 22, so I'm trying to weigh location, budget and possibly noise. We will need either a triple or a single and a twin for 3 nights. I would like to stay around 200 euros per night if possible.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What part of Dublin to stay in?

Ballsbridge [3km] is about 10mins bus ride into the Center or by DART Train from Lansdowne Road 4mins walk to Tara St near O'Connell St in 6mins. The Bewleys Chain have a branch in Sandyford [8km out] right next to the LUAS [tram] to St Stephen's Green [Grafton St shopping area]. Bewleys should be about €59 per room per night. Also, one of the Aircoach routes from Dublin Airport terminates right at the front door. The Royal Marine Hotel in Dun Laoghaire is 10km out and 2mins from the DART train [17mins to Tara Street]

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,517 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What part of Dublin to stay in?

If you'd like to stay in a B&B, you might consider one of the towns on the DART line. Noise definitely won't be a problem in these places, e.g. Malahide or Howth.

We have stayed twice in Malahide and enjoyed both B&Bs we stayed in. We paid 30 euros per person per night. The ride into Dublin on DART takes around 25 minutes and costs under 3 euros each way.

Dublin
Level Contributor
275 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What part of Dublin to stay in?

It really depends what you want & what premium you place on having Duiblin city centre wityhin walking distance. Could you tell us more about what you plan to do in Dublin?

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What part of Dublin to stay in?

When will your visit take place?

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What part of Dublin to stay in?

OK. If I'm reading your other post correctly, you'll be in Dublin for 3 nights from Sunday 9th June, 2013.

Look at the Advance Purchase, Special Offers, Stay Longer, Save More! type of deal at Buswell's Hotel or one of the O'Callaghan Hotels, for example.

Central, safe, on the quieter side - but within walking distance of where things are happening for the 20 something young men.

buswells.ie/index.cfm/…specialoffers.htm

http://www.ocallaghanhotels.com

Classic Triple Room at The Davenport, for example:

http://www.davenporthotel.ie

Or, the special rate for The Bloomsday Festival which will overlap your stay:

davenporthotel.ie/dublin-hotel-deals/unesco-…

www.visitdublin.com/event/Bloomsday_Festival

You can treat yourself to Afternoon Tea in the top-rated Shelbourne Hotel, a short stroll away:

marriott.co.uk/hotels/…

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
28,953 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What part of Dublin to stay in?

If you don't need parking, best you stay in town.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
667 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What part of Dublin to stay in?

We won't need parking and yes will arrive in Dublin on June 9th.

We want to see Trinity College, the Museum of Archeology, the Post Office, several of the churches. The 21 yr old wants to see the Guinness Storehouse and I would like to see the Decorative Arts museum. The list is based on what I've read so far.

Edited to add: forgot about Kilmainham Gaol. That's also on the must see list.

Edited: 09 January 2013, 03:01
Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What part of Dublin to stay in?

The usual map of Dublin city centre that I link to has not been cooperating with me since last night!

For now, these maps may be of assistance:

visitdublin.com/pdf/DublinCityStreetMap.pdf

Includes Places of Interest:

http://www.visitdublin.com/pdf/DT-MapPad.pdf

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What part of Dublin to stay in?

I would advise you to stay in the centre , I'm sure you will find plenty of options.It's always nice to be able to pop back the hotel if you forget something, to change clothes if the weather dictates, and for me at least, sometimes to have a rest for an hour, without having to get on a bus/tram, no matter how frequently they run.

All of your must see's( and its a great list) are in the city centre, and you will do a fair bit of walking between them anyway. Uusal's suggestions are very good, but I have heard lots of other central and South side hotels recommended here including the Trinity Capital, Brooke's, etc.

North side hotels tend to be less expensive in my experience, but most of the sights you mentioned are South of the river - good luck with the planning!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
667 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What part of Dublin to stay in?

Thank you all for your help. I've reserved a 2 BR suite at Premier Suites Dublin in Dublin 2. Now to finalize the rest of our accommodations.