We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2.5 Days in Ireland. Must see's & do's?

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
2.5 Days in Ireland. Must see's & do's?

I arrive on the 25th of July 2013 into Dublin Airport at 12.20am, so firstly i need somewhere to stay that has 24 hr reception & check in, and leave on the 28th of July late at night back to London.

I decided to squeeze in a quick trip to Ireland before i go back home to Australia. Has any one have any recommendations for what i can fit into this small time frame. Bear in mind I am to young to rent a car. So basically am relying on either a tour or public transport. I am also travelling alone.

Thanks

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,935 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2.5 Days in Ireland. Must see's & do's?

Not very much time at all, one day you should explore Dublin city -use the qs to the right here to decide on your must sees and dos for the city.

For me I'd consider the trip to Newgrange an absolute must see and there are plenty tours from Dublin to it.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2.5 Days in Ireland. Must see's & do's?

Well, given the short amount of time you have in Dublin, one of the best ways of seeing it would be a HoHo bus tour, which would be an easy way of seeing some of the main sights and getting some information at the same time. If you do not feel like getting off the bus, the complete tour takes 80/90 minutes.

There are a couple of HoHo tour companies in Dublin. If possible, try and get on the HoHo buses that have live commentaries, rather than those with a pre-recorded multi-lingual commentary - I think you will enjoy the tour so much more.

The green buses (Dublin Bus - http://www.dublinsightseeing.ie/index.aspx ) provide live commentary on 2/3rds of their buses and are clearly marked. The other 1/3rd are pre-recorded and are marked ‘multi-lingual‘. If in doubt, just ask the bus driver whether its a live or pre-recorded commentary.

I don't know how many of the red HoHo buses (City Sightseeing - http://www.irishcitytours.com/index.php . ) are live commentary. But again, if in doubt, just ask the bus driver whether its a live or pre-recorded commentary.

The Green HoHo bus ticket is valid for two consecutive days, and during the months May to Oct, includes the Pat Liddy walking tour, which starts at 11.00 AM - www.walkingtours.ie/en/pat-liddy-historian/

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2.5 Days in Ireland. Must see's & do's?

I would hop on an early train to Kilkenny, loads to see, small Irish town with tons of history and things to see, easy to walk round from the station.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2.5 Days in Ireland. Must see's & do's?

Well, I had a similar itinerary as you. I got in at 7am on Friday and was at the airport by 11am Sunday. Friday we spend walking around the city seeing the different architecture throughout the city, going to a few museums, etc. Then Saturday we spend all day (7am-9pm) on a tour out to the west side of Ireland (only 40-45Euros). I would highly recommend taking the trip over to the west side. You still get to see Dublin and the west is very nice to see if you want to see more of Ireland.

5. Re: 2.5 Days in Ireland. Must see's & do's?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2014, 05:15