We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doolin to New Grange , is it possible?

APO germany
Level Contributor
76 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Doolin to New Grange , is it possible?

We will be traveling from Doolin to New Grange (April 13th), before we check in to our Airport Hotel (leaving Ireland the following day ) . If we leave Doolin by 8-9am from my understanding it will take us 3-4 hours at least to get there which puts us arriving around 1pm. Will there still be tours avialable at that time, or will it be a waste of a day?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doolin to New Grange , is it possible?

It all depends on the day of the week and the time of the year. Saturday in high season I would say no but a Wednesday in February then probably yes. There's no way to know.

How about trying it and having a back up plan if it doesn't work? Trim Castle is not far and might be a good alternative?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Doolin to New Grange , is it possible?

Go to the National Transportation Agency's website, type in Doolin and Newgrange on the planner and see what comes up.

Doolin, Ireland
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Doolin to New Grange , is it possible?

Driving Doolin to Newgrange is about a 3 and 1/2 hour drive. Go via Galway, Dublin, Newgrange sticking to the Motorways from Galway would be the easiest and fastest route.

As you cannot pre book Newgrange you have to wait in line, So it is hard to know the wait, but its a Saturday in April, so its not high season, Easter School holidays finished the week previous, which usually results in a dip in demand the week after holidays finish.

The offical newgrange website http://www.newgrange.com/visitor.htm Has all the information and I suggest maybe a quick email to them as they could give you an indication of a typical waiting time. Otherwise they say get there early.

Anthony

Doolin Hostel

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,037 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doolin to New Grange , is it possible?

i think you'll find the drive is closer to five hours and that would be with no stops for petrol, toilet, eating breaks.....aa roadwatch says close to four hours and you usually can add 20-25% to that to get a really accurate time...

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,806 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Doolin to New Grange , is it possible?

Agree with last post.

If you really want to see NewGrange (which I strongly recommend) you should leave around 7am.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,515 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Doolin to New Grange , is it possible?

As well as your five hour drive from Doolin you should also factor in that a tour of Newgrange takes up to around 3 hours. Seeing as you will be travelings east anyway you should also think of alternative nearby venues just in case Newgrange is not available on the day you travel, ie Boyne Battle Site and Drogheda Millmount museum are well worth a visit.

Edited: 27 January 2013, 13:44
7. Re: Doolin to New Grange , is it possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2014, 07:16