We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin Freedom Ticket vs. Rambler Bus Ticket

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dublin Freedom Ticket vs. Rambler Bus Ticket

Hello!

I will be travelling to Dublin in mid-February for 3 days and I am planning on obtaining a DublinPass which entitles me to enter quite a number of attractions for free. However, the DublinPass does not include any transportation within the city so I will need to purchase a ticket for that as well.

The DublinPass offers me two kinds of tickets: one is the "Dublin Freedom Ticket" which costs me EUR26 and the other one is the "Rambler Bus Ticket" which costs me EUR14.

I am quite puzzled about the description because they look alarmingly similar to me. They BOTH cover the Airlink Express Bus and the Dublin city buses. The only difference I could spot is the "Dublin Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour" which is NOT included in the Rambler Ticket.

I am just wondering if the Bus Tour is the ONLY difference between these two tickets? Will the Freedom Ticket allow me to travel on LUAS or DART within the Dublin city region?

Thank you very much for your help!

Calvin

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,099 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin Freedom Ticket vs. Rambler Bus Ticket

From what I can determine, the 3 Day Rambler is valid for 3 non-consecutive days:

dublinbus.ie/en/…

Whereas the 3 Day Freedom ticket is for 72 hours following its activation:

www.dublinsightseeing.ie/freedomticket.aspx

Read through this discussion on the topic from December, 2012, in case I'm missing something pertinent:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186605-i90-k59812…

Edited: 28 January 2013, 19:35
Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,099 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin Freedom Ticket vs. Rambler Bus Ticket

There is also the LEAP Card, which I will leave to others to explain and recommend or otherwise.

It can be used on Dublin Bus, Luas, Dart and other commuter services:

www.dublinbus.ie/Fares--Tickets/Leapcard/

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin Freedom Ticket vs. Rambler Bus Ticket

Thank you for your reply. I don't think I am going to get the LEAP Card because it is not for unlimited use, whereas the Freedom Ticket and the Rambler Ticket are (which means one less thing to worry about).

So, neither the Freedom Ticket nor the Rambler Ticket enables me to use LUAS services for free?

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,249 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin Freedom Ticket vs. Rambler Bus Ticket

The main difference is the Freedom ticket includes the hop on hop off tour buses, the rambler is just for the local buses. Both include the Airlink 747 service.

There is a combined bus and luas pass available. Unfortunately there is no bus & luas pass which also includes the Dart and Commuter suburban rail services. Daily fare capping is slowly being introduced to the Leap system so hopefully when Leap is working to its full capability all these issues will be resolved.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin Freedom Ticket vs. Rambler Bus Ticket

Thank you! I don't need the DART trains so if you could advice me which pass it is that includes both the buses and LUAS it would be really helpful!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin Freedom Ticket vs. Rambler Bus Ticket

Just be aware that a lot of the stuff which is free with the Dublin Pass is free anyway, all the National Museums, Galleries, etc.

The Leap card isn't the best for tourists as you have to pay a deposit for it which you only get back if you apply in writing for it and they send you a euro cheque.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Dublin Freedom Ticket vs. Rambler Bus Ticket

Thanks :) I do aware that I can enter quite a lot of places for free with the Dublin Pass. But I think transport tickets would be helpful as well since I don't need to worry about pay for bus/trams.

I do plan to get BOTH the Dublin Pass and the transport ticket - as irish_eyes1000 mentioned there's a bus/luas combined ticket and I would really appreciate if there's more info on that!

Rolla, Missouri
Level Contributor
84 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dublin Freedom Ticket vs. Rambler Bus Ticket

I was in Dublin recently and can verify the fact that the Rambler can be used for three days that are not necessarily consecutive. I used it on Friday, Saturday, and Monday. On Sunday, I only took one bus trip and it was within the City Centre Fare area so it only cost me 65c. My understanding is that the Freedom Ticket is limited to 72 hours.

There appears to be a Combi Ticket for LUAS and Dublin Bus, but it's only for 1 day, 7 days, or 30 days.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Dublin Freedom Ticket vs. Rambler Bus Ticket

Thank you! I will only be in Dublin for less than 72 hours consecutively, so I think my trip is pretty well covered by either of them.

From experience, do you think just bus is enough for a vacation? Or would the LUAS be great help to travel in the city?

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,249 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Dublin Freedom Ticket vs. Rambler Bus Ticket

I think for what you are describing the 3 day bus ticket will suit you. The great benefit is you can use it to get to and from the airport on the 747 express which is normally 6euro each way. If you need to use the luas then buy a ticket as required but you will be able to manage without it.

Where are you staying and what places are you planning on visiting and I can advise on travel