We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Dublin from Wales by Irish Ferry

Mesa, AZ
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel to Dublin from Wales by Irish Ferry

My husband and I would like to take the train from London to Wales and then the Ferry from Holyhead to Dublin. I was wondering when we arrive how we could get from the pier into Dublin. Is there a bus or cab? We are planning to spend two night in Dublin and then take the train to Killarny for two nights. Is there a day tour that would take us around the Ring of Kerry? We only have six days to spend in Ireland and we would like to see as much as possible.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,151 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Dublin from Wales by Irish Ferry

Why do you want to take the ferry from London to Dublin and then take the train down to Killarney?

You will have a limited amount of time.

You can fly from London into Kerry International Airport from Luton and Stanstead on Ryanair. www.ryanair.com This will probably work out much cheaper (even paying for your luggage) than your proposed method.

You can take a day tour of the Ring of Kerry. www.derostours.com

However if you want to see as much as you can in a very short time span then consider hiring a car in Kerry.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,348 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Dublin from Wales by Irish Ferry

Irish Ferries have One double deck Dublin Bus waiting for All the foot passengers their baggage, prams and other incidentals, you will need €2.50 in change per person. or you can get a Taxi. Personally I use Stena Line who at least have Two Coaches with cargo holds for their passengers again €2.50 each or taxi. To book Stena line you just request Dublin Connelly rather than Dublin Port as the destination and tickets can be purchased at any UK mainline station.

You can get a Train to Killarney and there are a few companies that do tours of the Ring and other sights. You can also get a tour of Dingle from Killarney.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,151 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Dublin from Wales by Irish Ferry

Contrary to Tony's experiences, we like Irish Ferries and have had nothing but good experiences with them.

However I still think that flying is a far more appropriate option.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Dublin from Wales by Irish Ferry

I have no preference for either - both IF and Stena are reasonable good, both seem to operate within minutes of each other so the timetable won't determine the choice. You should enquire in London about RAIL/SAIL deals from London via ferry to include Killarney as an all-in ticket should be the cheapest option. If thats not an option book your Dublin/Killarney tickets on-line with www.irishrail.ie at least 3 days in advance for the best prices. But the option of flying direct might be best if time is limited.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,348 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Dublin from Wales by Irish Ferry

As some one who actually uses Rail and Sail on a regular basis. I simply prefer the level of (or existence of) customer service provided by Stena Line.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,363 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Dublin from Wales by Irish Ferry

www.seat61.com

Mesa, AZ
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to Dublin from Wales by Irish Ferry

I wanted to take the train to Wales from London to see the countryside. I thought the Fairy might be fun; but maybe not. Plus I just don't like flying anymore. You have to get to the airport a couple of hours before your flight and stand in long security lines.... It seems very stressful now. We fly often from Phoenix to Chicago and the last 3 trips my husband and I both had to be x-rayed.... how healthy is that. After our 8 hour flight to London I thought it was a good idea.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,304 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to Dublin from Wales by Irish Ferry

No, flying isn't fun (not commercially, anyway...)

The combined train & ferry fare from London to Dublin is just £38 booked in advance or £43 on the day, buy online at www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk or at the station if you can't pre-book.

The best train is the 09:10 Mon-Fri, 08:50 Sat, 08:15 Sun from London's Euston station to Holyhead, connecting with both the 13:50 Stena Line ship 'Stena Adventurer' arriving Dublin Port 17:05 and the 14:05 Irish Ferries ship 'Ulysses' arriving Dublin Port 17:25.

Both companies run buses to Dublin centre 2 miles away, or a taxi will be about €15 as I recall.

Both ships are good, but personally I think the Irish Ferries ship is the more glamorous, more like a cruise ship than a RoPax ferry.

You'll get a ticket which includes the Stena Line ship 'Stena Adventurer' if you book online to the destination listed as 'Dublin Port (Stena)', you'll get IF's Ulysses if you book to 'Dublin Port (Irish Ferries)'

It's a pleasant and relaxing day, with great scenery along the North Wales coast, past Chester City Walls, Conway Castle, beaches, over the famous Britannia Bridge onto Anglesey, and across the Irish Sea.

It's the traditional way to reach Dublin from London, you won't regret doing it instead of yet another boring flight.

Edited: 09 February 2013, 06:20
england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel to Dublin from Wales by Irish Ferry

DD got a return ticket on National Express coaches a few years back, it was certainly the cheapest option at the time, I think she got London Victoria to Killarney for £28 return, not sure how far in advance you need to book for the really cheap tickets, and I dont fancy it, but you just get off the coach when it goes on the ferry and get on again the other end.

However, The train along the north wales coast is spectacular.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,151 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel to Dublin from Wales by Irish Ferry

I agree with Fuchsia, the scenery in North Wales is incredible.

And I love the Ulysses Ferry.

But it does take a full day.