We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early morning in Dublin

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Topic
Early morning in Dublin

My brother and I will arrive in Dublin at 5:15AM in June. My other brother and our dad will arrive in Dublin at 10:15AM on the same day. So we plan to store our luggage in a storage locker and then set off to explore for a few hours before we head back to the airport to pick up the rest of our gang.

What shall we do to entertain ourselves for those few hours early on a Monday morning? Any suggestions?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,559 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early morning in Dublin

Are you getting a car, or looking to take a bus into the city, or something else?

Honestly, it's almost one of those "by the time you get anywhere it's time to go back" scenarios.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,181 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Early morning in Dublin

Have a leisurely breakfast and read the local paper.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early morning in Dublin

5 hours,minus baggage claim,customs etc...save yourself time and money,stay in the airport.As lordkimmage says,have a bite to eat,and chill.

Sparky.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Early morning in Dublin

I figure my brother and dad will also have to go through customs, baggage , and what not still leaving us four plus hours to spend.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,353 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early morning in Dublin

Left luggage at the airport opens at 6am.

If you are dead set on leaving the airport, you could take the bus into town and watch Dublin wake up. Get off in the city centre, walk up O,Connell Street, cross over the Liffey, take a stroll up past Trinity College, walk up Nassau Street, go up Kildare Street, cross over towards Dawson Street on to Grafton Street and grab some breakfast in Bewleys (opens @ 8am) before heading back out to the airport.

dublinairport.com/gns/…left-luggage.aspx

bewleys.com/bewleys-grafton-street-cafe

Alternatively, you could taxi out to the coastal town of Malahide near the airport and take a stroll along the seafront. Not much will be open that early though, you could get some breakfast in The Grand Hotel.

http://www.thegrand.ie/

If the weather is bad, a newspaper and airport breakfast would be a nice option!

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
11,626 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early morning in Dublin

Hi, I agree with Dubfam that Bewleys is the place to head for for breakfast. While you are waiting for them to open perhaps Dublin Corporation Fruit and Vegetable Market might be interesting:

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Never been there myself, but perhaps some of the locals can let us know if it's still open and worth a visit. Looks walkable between O'Connell and Grafton.

The airport bus takes less than an hour downtown and costs €6 each way. There are also local buses that cost less but take longer.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Early morning in Dublin

Hop the 102 bus to Malahide it travels between the airport and Malahide you will be able to look arund the town go down to the Harbour have breakfast you might even see a bit of Malahide Castle and back to the airport.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Early morning in Dublin

Much easier just to get the 102 to Malahide. I believe the first bus is 5 30am. I am not sure much would be open in Malahide until at least 7. We have a marina in Malahide not a harbour.

Edited: 26 February 2013, 15:26
Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Early morning in Dublin

The Grand Hotel will be open for breakfast and coffee.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Early morning in Dublin

I figure my brother and dad will also have to go through customs, baggage , and what not still leaving us four plus hours to spennd.

We were thinking if heading to Bewley's. is the Grand Hotel closer to the airport?