We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental in Dublin city center

Valparaiso, Indiana...
Level Contributor
35 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
car rental in Dublin city center

I will be spending my first three days of vacation in Dublin (Temple Bar area) where I will not need a car. On my fourth day I leave for a week in the southwest and will need one. Most of the rental sites I've visited claim to have a city center location, but in reality they all seem to be well beyond the city center. I had hoped to arrange a rental from a location that I could simply walk to. I would appreciate advice or input from anyone who has rented a car in the heart of the city. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Canada
Level Contributor
6,904 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental in Dublin city center

I stayed at Trinity Capitol (right next to Trinity college) and the avis car rental was only a 10 euro taxi ride away. I consider this close!

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental in Dublin city center

I think you would be much better to get a bus or taxi and go to somewhere much nearer the motorway than the city centre. Driving through Dublin city centre is not recommended!

Valparaiso, Indiana...
Level Contributor
35 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental in Dublin city center

Thank you both for your sound advice. I had completely forgotten about a hellish experience I had about 10 years ago driving into the center of Dublin on a Friday afternoon. it was the worst traffic experience of my life - and I'm from Chicago. Taking a cab to a location more accesable to the highway makes sense. I will leave Dublin to the drivers that know it best. Thanks again.

Tampa
Level Contributor
72 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental in Dublin city center

I am also traveling to Dublin soon and need to figure out the car rental. Have you figure out where to pick-up your rental? I have mine scheduled at the airport but really don't want to bring it into the city center.

Shauna

Valparaiso, Indiana...
Level Contributor
35 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental in Dublin city center

I have not yet reserved a car, but will take the advice of Doneraile and rent away from the city center, then take a cab to the rental facility. I would not advise bringing a car into the city center. As I mention in my last post, I did this 10 years ago and it was a nightmare. You’ll probably be arriving in the morning after an overnight flight. Taking a rental a car with the steering wheel on the right side as well as driving on the opposite side of the road from which you are familiar is not for the faint of heart. My advice would be to take a cab to Dublin. Not sure if you are considering spending a night there, but getting a good night's rest before navigating the Irish countryside’s long and winding roads is something you might consider. Good luck

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental in Dublin city center

Hey,

Thrifty Car REntal (http://www.thrifty.ie/dublincitycenter.php) and Europcar (http://www.europcar.ie/dublincity.html) have locations on Pearse Street in Dublin City Center.

From Temple Bar you are talking about a 5 minute walk to the Europcar Collection Point and another couple of minutes in the same direction to the Thrifty Car Rental Depot.

Ronan

Valparaiso, Indiana...
Level Contributor
35 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental in Dublin city center

Ronan,

Thank you for going to the trouble of finding these. I will look inot both....

illinois
Level Contributor
41 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental in Dublin city center

We have a similar itinerary (3 days in Dublin without a car and then need one for the rest of the trip). Would people recommend going back out to the airport to pick up a car there? The airport bus picks up across the street from where we are staying in city centre (the Best Western Academy hotel) and so I was thinking to just go back out to the airport and pick up the car there. Thinking it would be cheaper and then we're also on the highway for the trip to Kilkenny (though I know it's back-tracking of sorts to go to the airport). Thanks for any insights!

9. Re: car rental in Dublin city center

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2014, 06:19