We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin - Places to Stay, Things to See & the Weather??

Michigan
Level Contributor
75 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Dublin - Places to Stay, Things to See & the Weather??

Hello,

My husband and I will be in Ireland for four days first week of March. How is the weather this time of year?

I am looking for a hotel that is centrally located. I would like to see some castles and the Cliffs of Moher - is this far from Dublin? Not sure of what areas are nice. I like historical sites and nice scenery. Any suggestions would be great!

Thank you!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,809 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin - Places to Stay, Things to See & the Weather??

The weather can be any way. At the moment the forecast up to the 28th February is dry and cold.

www.met.ie has a 5 day forecast.

The Cliffs of Moher are about 3.5 hours from Dublin. Bunratty Castle is about an hour from The Cliffs. routes.aaireland.ie

I would suggest you come over to the West if your interests are as stated. You will get lots of historical sites and some fabulous scenery. We also have some great hotels.

Trinidad
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin - Places to Stay, Things to See & the Weather??

I used the Dublin Tour Company to go to the Cliffs of Moher. The driver from Galway to the Cliffs and then back was just great!

You can book online and on the day of the Tour have the printout of the email with barcode for the bus driver to scan.

I saw recently that the Cliffs of Moher had high winds advisory. Hope you get clear weather, it is a beautiful site.

I also did a day trip to Kilkenny. But there are other nearer towns that you can visit.

Nuneaton, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin - Places to Stay, Things to See & the Weather??

Hi. I go to Dublin every year and I always stop at the ashling hotel. The superior rooms are very comfortable and the food is great. As for the weather, it will be about 5 - 10 degrees Celsius. There are many tour companies in Dublin and most hotels offer discounts. There are a few historic sites to see including Kilmainham Gaol which is interesting. You can get to it on the trams which are frequent and easy to use.

Hope this helps and have a great trip :-)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
15 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin - Places to Stay, Things to See & the Weather??

Hello, I see that you will be in Dublin in early March. I am an American who resides in Dublin much of the year, and I know the city fairly well. I see that you are from Michigan, it will be warmer than Michigan that I can guarantee but it is Ireland and the weather is changeable, to say the least...it wont be hot and none too cold, bring a raincoat for it will rain, but it doesn't pelt down, more like scattered showers, the residents refer to them as "soft days".

There are many fine museums in City Center and Dublin is not a sprawling metropolis, you can walk to most attractions. Visit the campus of Trinity College and see The Book of Kells and don't miss going upstairs to see The Long Room ( an amazing space). Grafton Street is the shops street and it's always a bustle. Off Grafton there are some fine pubs, Kehoe's, Davy Bryne's , McDaid's, Neary's, etc. Have tea in The Shelbourne on St Stephen's Green, a great treat in a historic and wonderful hotel.

I have been back in The States for a few weeks and return in early March, as I write this advice; I get pangs of homesickness- you will have a grand time - you wont meet a more charming breed then the folks of The Emerald Isle.

E njoy

Edited: 23 February 2013, 20:15
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin - Places to Stay, Things to See & the Weather??

It's snowing this evening - 2C on the thermometer. Last week it was up to 14C.

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin - Places to Stay, Things to See & the Weather??

We regularly go to Ireland in March & the last 2 years have had tea shirt weather,but it is just as likely to be cold & wet

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
12 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dublin - Places to Stay, Things to See & the Weather??

Definitely do a day tour of the Cliffs & Galway from Dublin! It's a lot to see in a day but totally worth it, and every hotel I've stayed at in Dublin had numerous brochures for different tours available. Kilkenny and the Wicklow Mountains are also must-sees if you have the time!

I've never been in March, so I can't really help with the weather... but in Dublin many of the museums have free entry, so if it's too cold/rainy, they're great!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,048 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dublin - Places to Stay, Things to See & the Weather??

Do not even consider setting off from Dublin on the east of the Island on a 3+ hour trip along the Slab (M4&6) to see 1/4 mile of tourist Cliff on the west Atlantic coast. I would not go the 40 minutes to the cliffs with guests unless the weather was good and reliably so. 7 hours sat on a bus seat for 2 hours stretching your legs makes no sense the beginning of March.

9. Re: Dublin - Places to Stay, Things to See & the Weather??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2014, 07:16