We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reservations needed for dinner?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Reservations needed for dinner?

Can anyone tell me if dinner reservations are required for restaurants? We will be in Dublin, Killarney, and Galway. I'm assuming you can walk in to any of the pubs without reservations but what about other places, such as Indian or Indonesian restaurants, or seafood restaurants. There's a couple that I want to try and want to make sure we can eat at. The last time I was in Europe (November) I was surprised that even casual restaurants required reservations. Thanks for any and all help!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reservations needed for dinner?

It is no harm to book ahead if possible, but apart from the smallish [where size determines the capacity] to the very fancy, you should have no problem, especially in the ethnic places you mention.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,692 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reservations needed for dinner?

It depends on what night of the week and what time of the year?

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,132 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Reservations needed for dinner?

Yes and no. Would you care to name that couple?

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,457 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reservations needed for dinner?

I would say that midweek you might have to wait a few minutes while they roll out the red carpet. Friday and Saturday you might have to take the table near the restrooms.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reservations needed for dinner?

I think the answer to this is that you will always get in 'somewhere', you will not go without a meal!! but if there is somewehere special you want to go then it makes sense to ring and book beforehand.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,416 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reservations needed for dinner?

I would agree. Book ahead if you will be eating on a Friday or Saturday night. One week ahead should be fine (for the types of restaurants you hope to eat at). Some restaurants here require pre booking months ahead !!

In the YOP (years of plenty) a.k.a. The Celtic Tiger years (when it seemed no one ate at home anymore), many of the well known restaurants were booked out weeks in advance ;-((

Dublin
Level Contributor
914 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reservations needed for dinner?

~Philly,

Would be interested in hearing which restaurants have caught your fancy, and why?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,649 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reservations needed for dinner?

Yes, if you know where you want to eat, I would go ahead and make the reservation, as suggested about a week in advance, that way you won't be disappointed.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reservations needed for dinner?

Restaurants love people who make reservations it makes them feel that the client picked their restaurante and took the trouble to book ahead so yes book about a day or two in advance.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Reservations needed for dinner?

Thanks everyone. Apologies for not responding sooner. Our trip is the last week in May. We are in Dublin on a Tuesday & Wednesday, Killarney on a Thursday & Friday, and Galway on Saturday & Sunday. In Dublin the Indonesian restaurant Chameleon in Temple Bar and/or the Indian restaurant Delhi O’Deli is one of the places we were hoping to dine (based solely on TA reviews). We are mostly vegetarian and that is one of the reasons for our selection. Quinlan’s in Killarney and in Galway it looks like McDonaghs is the place to go for seafood. If anyone has other recommendations I'd love to know of them. We're not really on a budget but don't want to eat out at pricey restaurants every night. Mainly interested in just good quality food. Thanks!