We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Kinsale to Glendalough

Flin Flon, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Kinsale to Glendalough

I have to get from Kinsale to Glendalough in one day by public transportation. I checked BusEireann website in vain. Does anyone have a suggestion? Do I take a train or bus to Dublin and take a local bus back to Glendalough maybe? Do I take buses to Waterford and Wicklow and then a local bus up into Glendalough? I thought I could make the trip in four ro five hours no?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,420 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Kinsale to Glendalough

How I would do this is:

Bus from Kinsale to Cork City (check out www.buseireann.ie)

Train or bus from Cork city to Dublin city (check out www.aircoach.ie www.buseireann.ie or www.irishrail.ie

Bus from Dublin City to Glendalough.

This will mean that you leave Kinsale on earliest bus possible

Here is the timetable for St Kevins Bus service to/from Glendalough

http://www.glendaloughbus.com/timetable.aspx

If you have trouble understanding any of the timetables, let me know what your date of travel is from Kinsale and I will work out a route for you.

Edited: 15 March 2013, 21:21
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,529 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Kinsale to Glendalough

Get a bus from Kinsale to Cork, then either a train or a bus to Dublin. Then get a bus from Dublin to Wicklow and get a cab.

Not a hope of doing it in 5 hours on public transport. You would be hard pushed to do it in that time using private transport!!

Use the Journey Planner on the Bus Eireann Website. If you leave Kinsale at 9.10am next Wednesday (I used this as a sample date) you will have two changes: one in Cork, the other in Dublin. You will have to do a 10 minute walk in Dublin from Bus Aras to Georges Quay.

You then get a bus to Wicklow town and get a cab to Glendalough.

It will take you between 6.5 hours and 7hours 10 minutes depending on when you travel.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,971 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Kinsale to Glendalough

Why Kinsale?? Cork might be a better option if you have a push the following day.

Flin Flon, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Kinsale to Glendalough

Why Kinsale? Why not Cork? i will be in Cork until maybe 2 PM - I heard Kinsale was some place I should see and i heard the ghost tour was good, so i thought i'd fit it in. When you live in Canada sometimes you forget how long it takes to travel in other countries. I thought i was an hour from Waterford and an hour from there to Wicklow and maybe half an hour from there to Glendalough. So of the two excellent suggested ways of doing this journey which do i chose? I care about making it in one day. I don't want to find i missed the last bus in either case. I'd like to do it by the quickest method as my second priority. What do you think of Bryno's suggestion Bean A? And vice versa? Thanks by the way. You both took some trouble. I'm impressed and grateful.

Flin Flon, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Kinsale to Glendalough

Please largely ignore my previous post. It was late at night when i wrote it and i hadn't realized the two recommendations only varied in how to get from Dublin to Glendalough. The suggestion that i take the St Kevins service works for me - there should be no problem with making connections BUT it puts me in Glendalough after dark! The suggestion that i go to Wicklow offers the chance of earlier arrival but has me stymied because i can't find a bus that goes to Wicklow and i know there must be one. I found the schedule #2 bus but it doesn't stop there as far as i can figure out. If Loughlinstown or Kilmacanoque are somewhere in the vicinity they are only pickup stops apparently. By the way i'm travelliing on a Saturday. Can somebody figure out what i'm missing?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,529 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Kinsale to Glendalough

I've managed to find you a bus to Wicklow on the journey planner.

Hopefully this link will work (I've used Saturday 13th April for a dummy run)

…buseireann.ie/jp/bin/query.exe/en…

Yes, it works. Just confirm where in Wicklow you want to arrive. I used the Grand Hotel. And then click the "plan your journey" button.

Click on the "i"s to the left of the locations for more information.

Edited: 16 March 2013, 15:06
Flin Flon, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Kinsale to Glendalough

Thanks Bean A. I will use your suggestion.. I tried to beat it by taking a train from Cork to Dublin but i ended up on the same bus Dublin to Wicklow as your suggestion had me on. So the only concern i have left is how hard a cab to Glendalough will be to find and what it will cost. Do you have any tips on whether to pay it online or not? Where or when to get food for the trip? Which side of the bus will offer the best views?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,420 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from Kinsale to Glendalough

It's 40 miles from Heuston Station to Glendalough. Journey time of approx 1 hour 20 mins. My guestimated cost €80. The cost is expensive because the cab must make the return journey also,more than likely without a fare.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,529 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from Kinsale to Glendalough

Bryno, I've managed to find a bus that goes to Wicklow.

So the cab will only be from Wicklow to Glendalough....;o)

Gerry, heres a link to Wicklow Taxis. Contact them and see how much they will charge you http://www.wicklowtaxis.com/

Flin Flon, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting from Kinsale to Glendalough

The problem now is that the taxi from Wicklow to Glendalough costs €40! The St. Kevin's bus is €20 return from Dublin. So I am left thinking plans to go to Kinsale will have to be abandoned. I need to be on the morning coach Dublin to Glendalough at 11:30 on the Saturday of my holiday. So where do i go that is interesting on the Friday night instead. I will be at Cork Airport from noon hour until about 2 PM. I don't want to go to Dublin for the night if i can find something i haven't seen. If i go somewhere along the coast between Arklow and Glendalough i should be able to find a way to Glendalough at a reasonable price and by daylight shouldn't I?