We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi tour of dublin

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
32 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
taxi tour of dublin

My husband and i will be arriving in dublin airport and would like a driverto pick us up there and take us on a 1-2 hr tour of dublin and then drop us off at our hotel we thought this would bea good intro to the city before our checkin time is there such a service?

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taxi tour of dublin

We did the HOHO bus, double decker, open on the top, you get a great view of the sights and an audio narration. 24 stops or so, 1.5 hours for the complete tour. http://www.dublinsightseeing.ie/

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi tour of dublin

Although you cannot check into hotel early morning after an overnight flight from USA; you could drop off luggage and then do HoHo tour. Many convenient stops; great value. You can purchase ticket on line for discount and use it for 2 days. Great way to see Dublin www.dublinsightseeing for more detailed information

Edited: 23 March 2013, 14:24
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,905 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taxi tour of dublin

I would head directly for the hotel. If they have a room available, they'll check you in, and you can drop the bags and freshen up a bit.

Then you could take one of the HOHO bus tours to get familiar with things.

One factor to consider: Even if you found a taxi driver willing to take you around, if you do it straight from the airport you'll spend a lot of your time sitting in rush hour traffic in central Dublin versus driving to and from places. Might be better to get to the hotel , drop the bags, get a cup of coffee somewhere, and let the traffic thin out a bit.

Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: taxi tour of dublin

I second the suggestion to go to the hotel first- I arrived at 8 AM on a Tuesday, and my room was available for me to get freshened up in. The HOHO tour would be a great way to have an introduction to the city.

Dublin, Dublin...
Level Contributor
11 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taxi tour of dublin

You can buy a combo ticket in the airport for the 747 bus into the city centre and the green hop on hop off tour bus for 20 euro each or 24 for return to.airport in 3 months!! Taxi to city centre is 25-30 alone!!!

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
32 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: taxi tour of dublin

Thank you for the advice. Is it necessary to book the HOHO tour in advance or can you purchase the ticket at any stop on the day you plan to use it?

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: taxi tour of dublin

you can get a ticket when you board the bus,at any stop, it lasts two days, you see a lot more from the top of the bus than you would from a taxi.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
769 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: taxi tour of dublin

Ditto the HOHO. An be aware the Green bus has both prerecorded commentary or live commentary from the driver. Opt for one with live commentary (buses are marked). The drivers are informative and funny. Enjoy!!

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
714 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: taxi tour of dublin

Some would say that some of the airport taxi drivers take you on a tour of Dublin automatically when you arrive at Dublin ( or any !) airport. If you want to PM me I can give you more information about taxi tours of Dublin and the surrounding areas.

10. Re: taxi tour of dublin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2014, 06:18