We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smithfield or Parnell Square?

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Smithfield or Parnell Square?

I am trying to decide whether to stay at the Maldron Smithfield or Maldron Parnell Square hotel for a few nights. I'm leaning toward Parnell since it seems more central and there is more to do in that area. But Smithfield seems a little quieter and close to the tram. Any opinions? What are the pros/cons of each neighborhood?

A little background: This is my first time to Ireland. Staying in Dublin and will probably visit a few local towns - Malahide/Howth? May do a daytrip to Galway (though not sure it's worth it given the long travel time). I enjoy getting to know the locals, walking as much as I can, and eating really good food.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,755 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Smithfield or Parnell Square?

Of those two, I'd go with Parnell Square. Have you checked the rate at the TL Mercer Street?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
238 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smithfield or Parnell Square?

Parnell Square. You can easily walk to O'Connell St from there.

Edited: 28 March 2013, 01:33
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,575 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smithfield or Parnell Square?

Ordinarily I'd say Parnell as it's more convenient for all things touristy but if you really want to get to know some locals there are loads of local pubs around Smithfield and the nearby Stoneybatter that would be worth a visit!

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smithfield or Parnell Square?

I would pick Smithfield, for the reasons Lolly has mentioned above

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Smithfield or Parnell Square?

As so often Her Royal Lollyness would be right.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Smithfield or Parnell Square?

Neither

NYC
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smithfield or Parnell Square?

Thanks for your input! I'll probably go with the Smithfield. For those of you familiar with the area, any suggestions on specific places to eat/visit in the area? Also, any tips on walking routes to city center (e.g. which streets have buildings with history/architecture, streets to avoid, etc)?

Thanks again!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,575 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Smithfield or Parnell Square?

In the area places I'd eat include Third Space, especially for breakfast, also Wuff, Seven Social and L.Mulligan Grocer. Mulligans good for craft beer. For drinking also check Cobblestone and Dice Bar. A short walk away is Ryan's on Parkgate St, good for food and drink. A lot of the bars in this area are locals rather than hip/chic/touristy places! Have a look at some of the places in Stonybatter (same street as Mulligans)

You can just follow the river to the city centre or take the Luas. I don't think there's anywhere in particular to be avoided!

Next to the hotel is a great supermarket called Fresh. Good for essentials.

9. Re: Smithfield or Parnell Square?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2014, 05:16