We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clearing US customs and immigration at Dublin airport

Ohio
Level Contributor
355 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
Clearing US customs and immigration at Dublin airport

I read that passengers on some Aer Lingus flights clear US customs and immigration before they board their flight from Dublin to the United States. It also stated that not all flights clear in Dublin and some clear in the United States. Is this correct?

If this is correct, then how do you know if your flight clears in Dublin or the United States?

Thanks.

ireland
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Clearing US customs and immigration at Dublin airport

yes all clearance is done in Dublin . You just walk off the plane in the us and that's you sorted

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
334 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clearing US customs and immigration at Dublin airport

You clear US Customs in Terminal 2, and after doing so, you're treated just like a domestic flyer when landing in the US. I've been through it and it's pretty easy. Here are a couple of links for you to cut and paste on this--the Youtube video is the most helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqPr_sByA8Q

dublinairportt2.com/us-emigration-pre-cleara…

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clearing US customs and immigration at Dublin airport

ATLBob, Can you recall how long it took you get through the process and to the gate? We've got DL177 that's scheduled to depart DUB at 9:20am. Is two hours long enough to get through US and Ireland security and Customs?

Thanks.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clearing US customs and immigration at Dublin airport

Dublin Airport suggests arriving 3 hours beforehand. There are a number of pre-clearance flights that depart in the morning so you would have to allow for long queues at pre-clearance and also at security after clearing Immigration and Customs.. Only if you were familiar with Dublin Airport would I suggest anything less than 3 hours.

Another thing to note is that there will be no duty free sales on board. Hope this helps.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clearing US customs and immigration at Dublin airport

aerlingus.com/travelinformation/…

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clearing US customs and immigration at Dublin airport

Thanks Katy-lied. It does help but it isn't what I wanted to hear. Can I ask if you know if there's food service in T2 after the security area when you get airside? Our hotel doesn't have breakfast until 6:30 and it sounds like we're going to need to be out of there before then.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,111 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clearing US customs and immigration at Dublin airport

There are plenty of food options after you clear security but before you enter the pre-clearance area. Once you're through pre-clearance the options are pretty limited.

So...arrive at the airport at 630 or so and you should be checked in and through security by 715 or 730 (hopefully!) giving plenty f time to grab breakfast and do a bit of shopping before clearing Customs.

Ohio
Level Contributor
355 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Clearing US customs and immigration at Dublin airport

Thank you for your confirmation of my information and the added videos and written explanations.

Edited: 30 March 2013, 22:02
9. Re: Clearing US customs and immigration at Dublin airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2014, 05:16