We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Am I scheduling too many day trips?

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jacksonville
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Am I scheduling too many day trips?

My wife and I are flying to Dublin direct from ATL this summer for 7 nights, all in Dublin. Hotel is booked and paid so staying elsewhere is not an option. We plan to arrive Sunday AM and enjoy Dublin. Monday travel to Belfast for some of the tours and come back that night by train. Tuesday will be sightseeing in Dublin. Wed will be a day trip to Cork/Blarney. Thur will be sights in Dublin. Fri will be day trip to Cliffs of Mohr. Sat will be Dublin again and fly out Sun AM. My concern is the amount of Day Trips we are planning. Are the trips relaxing or will we feel exhausted at days end. I don’t want the trip to feel like we are on the go nonstop. Also, if you recommend we drop one of the trips, which one would you suggest?

Thanks to all responses!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,382 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Am I scheduling too many day trips?

Dublin is a touring base for..well for Dublin..The trips you have listed are full, long days..If you have bought one of the Powerscourt deals that seem to be doing the rounds that makes things more difficult just getting to Dublin and back timed for the tours. Drop one of the trips by all means and use the money saved so that you can fit an overnight into one of the other long trips.

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Am I scheduling too many day trips?

My suggestion would be to drop the trip to Cliffs of Mohr; most of your time will be on the bus and could be a "wash out" if poor weather. A day trip to Malahide and Howth might be interesting or the train to Dalkey

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,261 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Am I scheduling too many day trips?

There are plenty of wonderful things to see around Dublin itself including Glendalough and Newgrange that I would drop all but one of your trips (pick either Cork or Belfast - if it were me I would drop all) and then use your other days in Dublin itself and it environs (such as Howth, Malahide, Bray, etc.).

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,965 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Am I scheduling too many day trips?

Yes, you are scheduling too many trips.

Definitely drop the trip to the Cliffs of Moher. As Sissy says, you spend too much time on a bus and it will be a big waste of time if the weather is bad. (It was rainy/foggy the day we drove by the Cliffs. I'm glad that wasn't one of our "must see" destinations.)

Drop the trip to Blarney/Cork. Much more interesting things to see closer to Dublin. I would recommend, as did Akandal, Glendalough NP or Newgrange/Trim instead of Blarney/Cork.

Keep the day trip to Belfast. Yes, it's a lot of time on a train, but I very much enjoyed Belfast, especially since it's a place I never imagined that I would visit as a tourist. Take the HO/HO bus (great views of the murals from the top deck) and pre-book a snug at the Crown Bar for lunch. A walk through the Botanical Gardens is very nice too.

Take half of one of your days in Dublin and take the DART to either Howth (excellent Cliff Walk) or Malahide (seaside town with castle and nice gardens).

Edited: 05 April 2013, 22:20
Jacksonville
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Am I scheduling too many day trips?

Thank you all. I will be researching your suggestions and make the needed changes. I appreciate the weather warning for the cliffs trip. Looking to drop that. Belfast is a must for me. I have heard all great things about that city.

DHG
Boston
Level Contributor
457 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Am I scheduling too many day trips?

Depending on how your overnight flight goes, a full day trip on Monday might be too soon, but I would definitely keep the Belfast day trip. The high speed train "Enterprise" leaves Connolly Station at 7:35 am (Monday through Saturday). Breakfast is available on the train. The journey takes just over two hours. There is a complimentary phone at Belfast Central where you can order a taxi. For a day trip, I would recommend the Titanic Belfast (definitely book ahead at www.titanicbelfast.com); Titanic Walking Tours (offered at 11 am, 1 pm, and 3 pm from Titanic Belfast's main entrance (www.titanicwalk.com), and a personal Black Taxi Tour, Belfast Taxis CIC Taxi Trax (pre-book at info@taxitrax.com). The Black Taxi can drop you off at the Crown Liquor Saloon (a must-see Victorian pub on Great Victoria St.) for drinks and dinner. You can also pre-book the train; I believe that the last one returns to Dublin at 8:10.( irishrail.ie)

Previous replies are correct re: The Cliffs of Moher. It's a long day of highway driving and if the weather's bad, you'll see the cliffs for five minutes; then be miserable waiting for two hours in the Cliff's visitor center for the return trip. Both Connemara and Cliffs of Moher are better done based out of Galway.

Cork/Blarney: I think you could eliminate that day trip as well. The Malahide Castle & Gardens just outside Dublin via the DART transportation system, is just as interesting and less touristy than the Blarney Castle and you could take Day Trip Unplugged's tour of Malahide Castle that also includes the Wicklow Mountains (gorgeous!) and the ancient lakeside monastery of Glendalough. (info@daytoursunplugged.ie). I've just submitted a review of Day Tours Unplugged that should be appearing in T.A. in a few days.

I can totally understand your desire to see other parts of Ireland, but the driving does take longer than it appears. With only a week's time, I think that you can still gain a good sense of the country if you concentrate on Dublin; making sure to include its surrounding seaside and mountain areas - with a possible day trip to Northern Ireland's Belfast just because it's so interesting and easy to do now. You can pre-book and pay for all of these tours and train tickets, and the Crown Liquor Saloon accepts credit cards, but do bring some British sterling cash for the taxis and sundries.

Dublin Bus offers a three day Freedom Pass (www.dublinsightseeing.ie) which is a great deal. Be sure to save time for the Kilmmainham Gaol, National Archeological Museum, Chester Beatty Library (Dublin Castle has limited availability now because of an E.U. conference), and everyone at some point goes to Guinness! Dublin also has some great historical and/or music pubs; yet another reason why you don't want to be too exhausted after a long day trip to enjoy them.

You're obviously putting a lot of care and thought into this trip. Let me know if I can give you any further information. Have a great time!

7. Re: Am I scheduling too many day trips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2014, 06:17