We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time

vancouver, b.c.
Level Contributor
308 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
1st time

I am a solo 60 yr old woman travelling for the 1st time to Dublin in Sept. Any suggestions as to which area to stay in which is very central. Also, suggestions to hotels would be appreciated. I plan on staying for a week with a short stay perhaps in Belfast. I am going to try & locate my grandparents home in Antrim.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
County Antrim
County Antrim
Northern Ireland, UK
Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time

Have a look at these two hotels, both centrally located within walking distance of many interesting sites; you haven't mentioned budget, so my suggestion offers two price options:

http://www.brookshotel.ie/

http://www.buswells.ie/

The HoHo bus is a great way to explore the city, although if you're happy to explore on foot, many places are easily accessible by walking:

http://www.dublinsightseeing.ie/index.aspx

If this is your first visit to Ireland, I highly recommend taking a day trip to one or both of these :

heritageireland.ie/en/…

wicklowmountainsnationalpark.ie/Glendalough.…

both are easily visited as day-trips from Dublin, and you can find tours here, or at the tourist office in Suffolk Street:

visitdublin.com/see_and_do/Tours/Tours_out_o…

:-)

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Suffolk
Suffolk
East Anglia, UK
vancouver, b.c.
Level Contributor
308 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time

Thanks for the info. Both hotels are about the same price. Which 1 of these would you choose?

vancouver, b.c.
Level Contributor
308 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time

SarniaG, I love using the HOHO buses when I travel. I find that if I do the whole route it helps me to then decide which stops I would consider in my itinerary, as well as give me a bit of orientation to the city. I also have looked at Railtours Ireland & they have some interesting trips. In your opinion, would the train be a good way to see parts of Ireland?

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time

I would choose Brooks Hotel between those two

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time

@ kittycat_8

I'd opt for Brooks, too. I'm really surprised that they're a similar price, as I was under the impression that Brooks is a "superior" hotel to Buswell's, and whenever I've compared prices, Brooks has been far more expensive. Looks like you've found a good deal!

As for Railtours, I'm afraid I've no personal experience of their tours, as I've always rented a car. However, from the itineraries I've seen on their website, they do cram alot into a day. Was there a particular tour you wanted to do?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
9,480 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time

I would also have assumed that Brooks was a more superior hotel to Buswells, so if both are a similar price go with Brooks. Both hotels are in a good central location.

vancouver, b.c.
Level Contributor
308 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time

Brooks is 123 Euros more per week than Buswells. I didn't think that this was a big difference. Sarnia, the only thing I definitely want to do is 1 or 2 days in Belfast. I am going to do some research on locating where my grandmother was born. Other than that, I don't have a clue as to what I would like to see re tours, except for your suggestions. Any other suggestions as to where/what I should see would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time

@ kittycat_8

Well, I'd certainly pay an extra €123 to stay at Brooks :-)

And I do think that both Newgrange and Glendalough are well worth visiting: in my top 10 historic sites for Ireland - and covering such different but interesting periods in Irish history.

Whilst in Dublin, you might like to visit this museum (free entry), which contains important and exquisite artefacts from Ireland's past. Having seen items like the Tara Brooch, Lough Gur Shield etc in books and then seeing them "for real" was a truly memorable experience for me:

museum.ie/en/intro/archaeology-and-ethnograp…

I still haven't seen the Book of Kells at Trinity College:

http://www.bookofkells.ie/

or visited Kilmainham Gaol, which everyone raves about:

heritageireland.ie/en/dublin/kilmainhamgaol/

I very much enjoyed visiting Christchurch Cathedral, particularly as the choir started to rehearse as we were leaving:

http://cccdub.ie/

Recommend you do as much research as possible into your family before visiting Antrim. It may be worth posting on the Antrim forum for advice on online sites that might be able to help.

Mentioned in this post
Newgrange
Newgrange
484 Reviews
Donore, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Trinity College Dublin
Trinity College Dublin
9,850 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Kilmainham Gaol
Kilmainham Gaol
21,277 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Christchurch
Christchurch
Dorset, UK
County Antrim
County Antrim
Northern Ireland, UK
vancouver, b.c.
Level Contributor
308 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time

Sarnia, I have already found my family in Antrim. I went on to another site which was recommended to me by a gent from Belfast. When I inquired about a certain street, I got a response from a relation. Her great grandmother was my grandfather's sister. She has been telling me about my ancestors, as she has been searching the family tree since 2005. I am now thinking of spending more time in Belfast, with a short stay in Dublin.

Mentioned in this post
County Antrim
County Antrim
Northern Ireland, UK
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time

@ kittycat_8

That's marvellous news! Looks like you'll have to change plans slightly, and definitely spend more time in Belfast.

Mentioned in this post
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK