We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Castle bewtween Dublin and Adare??

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
179 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
Castle bewtween Dublin and Adare??

Four of us arriving end of September for a six night stay. Want to book today. We are flying into Dublin and driving to Adare to stay in the villas there. However I am thinking it will be a long long day,after flying in from Boston and exploring Dublin for most of the day. Not sure it would be wise to start a long drive then. So we were thinking (4 50 somethings) perhaps we could stop overnight between Dublin and Adare and would love an authentic castle. Any ideas? Thanks everybody!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,366 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Castle bewtween Dublin and Adare??

Edited: 08 April 2013, 18:16
Rhode Island
Level Contributor
179 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Castle bewtween Dublin and Adare??

Was it something I said?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,366 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Castle bewtween Dublin and Adare??

No, sorry. It was something I said.

I put down the name of an excellent location except its a lot further off your route than I thought. Sorry if I offended. This is the place but its 1h40 from Dublin up towards Meath

http://www.ross-castle.com/en/

And it would take you 4.5 hours to get to Adare from there as opposed to 2.5 hours from Dublin.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,366 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Castle bewtween Dublin and Adare??

BUT on the other hand the route down is interesting and you could see some nice places on the way!!

routes.aaireland.ie

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
179 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Castle bewtween Dublin and Adare??

Thank you for taking the time to reply! I think I am just a little nervous about asking a "silly" question or one that has a clear answer and not look like I haven't done my homework! This trip has been years in the making and we just want to do the best we can in the limited time we have!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Castle bewtween Dublin and Adare??

Just make sure that the castle's not too authentic, otherwise the hygiene, heating and lighting standards might leave something to be desired :)

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,366 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Castle bewtween Dublin and Adare??

Please don't be afraid to ask questions.

There aren't that many "authentic" castles that have B&B facilities. Many of the so-called castles here are manor houses, not castellated buildings (e.g. Dromoland Castle).

I've done a bit of rooting - take a look at Barberstown in Co Kildare. Its closer to the Dublin - Adare route and looks lovely http://www.barberstowncastle.ie/

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Castle bewtween Dublin and Adare??

@ napatree

Found this on Ireland's Blue Book web-site; I've not stayed there, but you can read up and check reviews here on Tripadvisor. It's not directly on your route to Adare, but not too far off, either. Although not a fortified castle-type hotel, it still looks rather nice:

www.irelands-blue-book.ie/castle-durrow.htm

And just a thought: instead of Dublin, could you fly into Shannon with Aer Lingus? Less than an hour's drive from Adare, it would save you alot of driving from/to Dublin . . . .

Corpus Christi, TX
Level Contributor
51 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Castle bewtween Dublin and Adare??

My husband and I are staying one night on our way back to Dublin at Kinnitty Castle in Birr, which looks to be the same drive time for you, just a different route.

http://www.kinnittycastlehotel.com/

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
179 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Castle bewtween Dublin and Adare??

Thank you each and every one! I will start my research as we speak. If anybody has any cool manor houses or any type of lodging along that route or close by I would love to hear of it. We are flying into Dublin by choice!