We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone else been ripped off with car hire at Dublin Airport

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone else been ripped off with car hire at Dublin Airport

I would like to warn anyone hiring a car from Dublin Airport

I booked a rental online with Argus car hire. At the same time, the website offered collision damage waiver insurance through Allianz insurance, so took this option as well.

BEWARE. When I got to the Dublin airport pickup point, I found I was booked through National/Europcar. I produced all of my documents and the extra insurance document. The very rude lady said the insurance was not enough, and I would have to pay a further €15 per day collision damage waiver, for 4 days or I could not have the car. My party argued the issue with the person, but at 10.40 at night we just wanted to get on our way to our destination. So we paid and hoped to get a refund afterwards. After tons of e-mail and phone calls to Argus, National and Europcar hire, they all passed the buck and said I could not get the refund. So for 4 days hire I had paid insurance twice. A Total Rip Off.

116 replies to this topic
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,669 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone else been ripped off with car hire at Dublin Airport

Sorry Redwood..95% of complaints about car hire come from those who have taken the option of using an agency rather than going direct..If a quote looks cheap then it probably isn't its just missing one or more of the optional essentials. Always Know Who the end rental is with, Some agencies can't tell you this because they will hold onto your payment until the day before you arrive and factor through the cheapest. Then Know What you are buying. Full, partial or No insurance! then the Fuel policy. This may not be the Hire companies policy with Joe public but the policy they sell the agency. Always know What you pay At the Desk.. Irish cahire is not about the quote you get on line but what you actually end up paying.

citizensinformation.ie/en/…renting_a_car.html

Brisbane
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone else been ripped off with car hire at Dublin Airport

Budget / Carrental.com / $697.06aud for 2 day 9hr rental and the accounts department say the charge is correct. this charge is after a $288.41 refund. Originally they had $929.91 from my account. No accident, No Damage just great hidden costs.

My ageing Irish Mother in Law now living in Australia, asked us to take her back to Ireland to see her family for the last time. I was working so it was decided my wife would take her. I made all the arrangements on line and booked a car for 7 days with carrental.com this company is part of the Priceline group that own Agoda and Bookings.com and the car we hired a modest mid size car was through Budget at the Dublin airport.

I was comfortable with the hire as Budget is an old and trusted company in Australia and Agoda has proven themself to be a reliable accommodation site but I was wrong about carrentals.com.

Upon my booking I was charged $65 deposit and a further $381.16 was taken from my account prior to leaving Australia, the email said final payment. The advertisement said "free cancellation, excess waiver ect. we nominated an extra driver at $10 per day and ask for a GPS at $9 per day an extra $130 if hire ran full term.

When picking up the car my wife was asked for a credit card imprint and an hour later my mother in law was taken to the Hospital in Dublin by ambulance from the hotel where she spent the next 10 days.

On the second day of the hire my wife realised the car would not be used due to her mother being in hospital and rang Budget about an early return, they were helpful and offered a full refund for unused hire ??? The car was returned at 6am on day three and a $288.41 refund given into our account, but when she got back to Australia we noticed they had taken another $488.75 + the original $65 + $381.16 a total of $929.91 less the refund of $288.41 = $697.06 for (according to the paperwork from Budget) a 2 day 9 hour rental.

Yes there is always more to every story, my wife was lost and worried about her mother, the GPS supplied was not set to Dublin or Ireland for that matter (she thinks it was from France) so she never filled the car with petrol, the used petrol was charged at $36 + $107 to have someone fill it, no argument from me concerning the petrol but at the price on the web page for 3 days even with extras my charge should of been 1/2 and that's being generous. look up carrentals.com on line and the quote for the actual length of the hire will come back at about $140

Shame on you Budget and Carrentals.com If this is your price as it must be because I have three emails from you stating the $697.06 is correct, why hide it behind online quotes or $140.

Ps. Lucan Spa Hotel in Lucan, near Dublin, what nice people, review to follow.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone else been ripped off with car hire at Dublin Airport

We have always used AVIS, DIRECTLY, and never a problem or charge we were not aware of up front.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,398 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone else been ripped off with car hire at Dublin Airport

Redwood, your first mistake (and I don't mean this in a condescending way) was that you booked via Argus. I would NEVER recommend them to anyone who asked me for a recommendation.

Your second mistake was not to read about car hire in Ireland here on TA before you booked. It is one of the top questions dealt with on the forum, As Tony2phones mentioned. If it seems like a cheap car hire option, then it probably IS too good to be true.

Car hire is a necessary evil for visitors to this country, and it would seem that even regulation can not guarantee a smooth and transparent rental experience.

Sorry for your troubles ...... but......

Cartblank, sorry you had such a terrible experience here (hospitalisation of your mum in law). In your case, I am surprised Budget let you down, I would have recommended them previously to others but only if you deal with them directly and not go through a third party who of course are going to take their cut and may not be entirely 'up front' about the transaction so that they may guarantee a sale.

I pity any visitor having to rent a car in Ireland. My rental experiences in both UK and mainland Europe have been excellent, great value and superb vehicles, with no hidden costs at any point.

Edited: 06 May 2013, 16:42
Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone else been ripped off with car hire at Dublin Airport

As has been stated, the biggest area of complaint concerning Car Hire in Ireland is a lack of transparency.

There are too many 'Hidden' fees -- often buried in the 'Fine Print' of the web-site -- often two or three 'Clicks' beyond the Quotation page.

Utilizing an Intermediary usually just compounds and exasperates those problems. The Irish Tourist Board relies upon the Car Hire consortium for over-sight and guidelines -- In effect, choosing to permit the foxes to 'Guard' the hen house .... And, it worked SO well, when they let the Banks do the same, didn't it?

Customers need to perform DETAILED Due Diligence to protect themselves -- reading through ALL the 'Terms and Conditions and demanding clear explanation of ALL fees, charges, exclusions and inclusions. If you fail to do so, you are inviting abuse.

All this is compounded by the fact that so many visitors arrive at the Hire Desk, groggy and befuddled, from off an overnight, 'Red Eye' flight.

Having hired cars in Ireland a few dozen times, I like to think that I'm pretty savvy, but on the few occasions that I've 'Let My Guard Down', I too, have experienced a few 'Gotcha' events. By comparison, I rented a car in Cardiff for four days one year (as part of a longer, Cotswold / Ireland trip -- that was SO seamless and transparent that I felt totally PARANOID --- believing that it couldn't possibly be THAT easy!

And, in all fairness -- the absolute WORST car hire scam that I ever encountered -- was in Hawaii!

Bob

Edited: 06 May 2013, 17:10
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,398 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone else been ripped off with car hire at Dublin Airport

"By comparison, I rented a car in Cardiff for four days one year (as part of a longer, Cotswold / Ireland trip -- that was SO seamless and transparent that I felt totally PARANOID --- believing that it couldn't possibly be THAT easy!"

That was my exact experience in Wales, Spain, Austria. A pleasure

San Diego...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone else been ripped off with car hire at Dublin Airport

Hi All,

Great information, if a little overwhelming. I've been reading through other forum posts and came across recommendations for "easytourireland.com." Booking through them takes you directly to the Hertz website.

Folks on the forum say that you pay upfront for ALL charges (including CDW, SCDW as well as airport surcharge/location surcharge.)

Bryno/tony2phones,

Would you know if they are good and don't spring surprises on one being that they are a sort of middleman (even though easytourireland.com takes you directly to the Hertz website when you go ahead with booking your car?)

Thanks for your help!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,669 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone else been ripped off with car hire at Dublin Airport

Easytourireland.com are a relatively new kid on the block but the man in charge has been playing the game a long time. Reviews are generally good and the terms look all inclusive and detailed. If you want a Hertz rental then they may be the way to go. Might be the only way I would rent a Hertz again but that's another story or three.

Ocean Shores...
Level Contributor
311 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone else been ripped off with car hire at Dublin Airport

I was told last week by Conn, the gentleman who owns easytourireland, that you pay the all inclusive fee at the END of the rental period, billed to your card in Euros. The other Hertz franchize company that I have rented from 2 times with no hidden charges or surprises is: journeythroughireland.com and their rental can be prepaid; for everything except the SCDW or excess, which both times was payable at the rental counter, the last time being Oct 2012 in the amount of 14 Euros/day on a midsize 4 door manual car for 4 adults. You do receive a 10 or 15% discount for prepaying, but believe that you can also pay at the conclusion.

rvflyer

Wokingham, United...
Level Contributor
180 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone else been ripped off with car hire at Dublin Airport

To my cost I discovered that the Excess levied by Avis on our Opel Insignia was EUR 1400. Although I had bought Super CDW independently I had to accept a contingent liability on my CC or buy their insurance at EUR 18/ day. Please be aware that this practice is being adopted.

Edited: 17 June 2013, 22:45
Reply to: Anyone else been ripped off with car hire at Dublin Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted