We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

City Transportation Question

Jensen Beach...
Level Contributor
391 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
City Transportation Question

We will be in Dublin in Sept for 2 nights with 2 parents in their 70's. I am trying to figure out what mode of transportation would be good to have if the get tired of walking in the city center and want to go back to the hotel Grand Canal. We will have the hop on hop off bus ticket for two days to get close to some of the sites but I am thinking of something that will get them a bit closer to the hotel and able to catch that transportation through out the city center. Rambler Bus, Luas, DART ticket or a combination.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you

Bev

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,200 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: City Transportation Question

the hop on hop off tour will suit them well for the city centre. Then they just need to catch the Dart train to Grand Canal Dock station which is around the corner from the hotel. Either pay as they go in the ticket vending machines or get a Leap smart card for convenience. Leap can be used on bus, train and tram and you top it up with credit to travel. It is approx €1.50 or so into the city from Grand Canal Dock

I would probably by a return ticket into town from Grand Canal each day and use it to come back to the hotel in the evening. Your hotel is also near to Ballsbridge which is a very nice suburb with nice restaurants, bars etc

Edited: 16 May 2013, 15:43
Dublin
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: City Transportation Question

Here is the hotel's own directions for buses - "You can take buses 7, 7a, 8 or 45a which stop near Grand Canal Hotel. The closest bus stop for all these buses is in Lower Mount Street. When you leave the bus walk until the end of the street. On the first corner turn left and on the next one turn to your right. You will see Grand Canal Hotel on your right hand side." However, I'm not at all sure what walking distance would be entailed, or where to pick up those buses if you were in the city centre. Certainly, no bus goes by the front door of the hotel

I think for convenience, especially if you parents were tired, that a taxi would be your best option - it picks you up wherever you hail it, and it will drop you to the front door of the hotel.

Jensen Beach...
Level Contributor
391 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: City Transportation Question

Thank felanDublin for the info I will copy that into my notes and take along :)

Bev

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,200 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: City Transportation Question

Note that the dart station is 150m from the hotel, closer than the nearest bus stops

5. Re: City Transportation Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2014, 05:17