We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Customs Prohibitions

Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Customs Prohibitions

I would like to bring a gift of toasted Georgia Pecans for my Irish hosts. Do Irish Customs allow me to bring them into Ireland?

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,856 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Customs Prohibitions

You might get an answer on this link - www.revenue.ie/en/customs/public-travel.html

Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Customs Prohibitions

thank you

My interpretation is that YES, they are allowed as long as I don't sell them.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
535 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Customs Prohibitions

Send them to me. I'll take care of them for you :)

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Customs Prohibitions

bring them, I cant see a problem, and if there is you can always eat them!!

Virginia
Level Contributor
228 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Customs Prohibitions

Can't imagine you'll have a problem.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Customs Prohibitions

pack them in your hold luggage in case there is an announcement onboard about a passenger have a nut allergy

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,114 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Customs Prohibitions

the answer is yes...i only know this as i was on the same plane with kilted2 and his wife out of chicago and they took nuts and fudge that they make on the plane with them...although her luggage was searched in both north carolina and chicago she was allowed to proceed with both....

Edited: 22 May 2013, 13:23
Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
12,401 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Customs Prohibitions

A customs check in North Carolina and Chicago would only indicate that export is permitted. It is Irish Customs who decide what can be imported into Ireland. The information that you will be confronted with at Irish Customs is here: revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1878a.html

There is no specific prohibition for nuts, while plants and bulbs and hay and straw are prohibited. Since the nuts are processed and toasted, presumably in original packaging and imported in a small quantity for your own use I can't see any problem. You can walk through the green channel with a clean conscience (at least as far as the nuts are concerned) :-)

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Customs Prohibitions

I don't think you should bring toasted pecans to Ireland without someone here testing them to see does the Irish climate have a deleterious effect on them. I will generously offer to test them for you, just to be on the safe side. About a pound would be a safe sample.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,114 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Customs Prohibitions

doneraile, you are so kind to sacrifice yourself for the common good of man...lol..

dyoll, both airports cleared them to take their homemade fudge and nuts into ireland...i feel certain that tsa knows what is allowed to leave our country and enter ireland...sorry if my post wasn't clear...