We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget for 4 nights in Dublin

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
52 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Budget for 4 nights in Dublin

Hello...

My sister and I are thinking of spending four nights in Dublin, from the 20th to the 24th of December.

Would like to know how much we should budget to spend over this time. We are looking to spend as little as possible and dont mind budget accommodation and any hints and tips to save spending money.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,972 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget for 4 nights in Dublin

1. Look for accommodations that include a full Irish breakfast. You'll probably have so much to eat that you can forgo lunch or just eat a snack.

2. Look for restaurants that offer Early Bird Specials for dinner. You'll have to eat early, but that will be OK if you've skipped lunch due to that big breakfast.

3. Visit the National Museums. They are interesting and free.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget for 4 nights in Dublin

The 'early birds' referred to by Longhorn74 are generally available 5.00PM to 7.00PM, with a two course meal costong €19/22 and a three course for €22/26. They are good value. If you required a mid day lunch, most pubs provide a good one for €10/12. Also, have a look at the top tips on the right hand side - 'Visiting Dublin on a budget'

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget for 4 nights in Dublin

20-24 December hotels will not be cheap lots of parties etc.

Breakfast €7 max

Lunch €5-8

Dinner can be had in pubs for about €12 or restaurants earl bird €22 or later €28-35

Drink a pint is about €5 some places charge €5 for a bottle of Bud

Travelling around public transport €10 a day

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget for 4 nights in Dublin

These Dublin city public bus tickets would be good value, if you were going to use public transport a lot during your stay. They are not valid on the train services.

Rambler 1 Day Adult €6.90. Valid for unlimited travel for 1 day. Valid on Dublin Bus scheduled services including Airlink and Xpresso (excluding Nitelink, Tours, Special Events and Private Contract services).

Rambler 3 Day Adult €15.00. Valid for unlimited travel for 3 non-consecutive days. Valid on Dublin Bus scheduled services including Airlink and Xpresso (excluding Nitelink, Tours, Special Events and Private Contract services)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget for 4 nights in Dublin

Hostels offer the cheapest accommodation and there are plenty [differing standards] around the city centre area. Check the reviews on TA to get a flavour.

There are several cheap lunch spots - I use Spicy Bites - for 'all you can eat' @ €5.99 tripadvisor.ie/…REVIEWS Jimmy Cheung's is another for under €10. I don't eat dinner in the evening after a feed at these places!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,579 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget for 4 nights in Dublin

Last night I had an amazing dinner in Bison Bar on Wellington Quay, I urge everyone to try it out! A huge hunk of slow cooked (13 hours in an American smoker) brisket with two good sized sides and dip all for €12.00. Fantastic value... I'm going to be raving about this place for a while! :)

Check out my pics! - http://flic.kr/s/aHsjFz6rjt

More info - http://www.yelp.ie/biz/bison-bar-dublin

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
52 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget for 4 nights in Dublin

Thanks so much for all the advise! Is this going to be a terrible time of year to be in Dublin? I have read a few posts on TA and some people think it is not a good idea.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,579 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget for 4 nights in Dublin

No it wont be terrible! It will be chilly and there'll be a higher chance of rain, or maybe snow but here'll also be lots of festiveness given the time of year! Make sure you go to some Christmasy themed events. It can be a lovely time of year in the city.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,350 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budget for 4 nights in Dublin

The Pre-Christmas weeks in Dublin are so lovely and festive. There are always lots of things on and everybody always seems to be in great form.....I think its a lovely time to visit. What have you planned after the 24th though - as after Christmas Eve, everything closes for Christmas Day and there is no public transport.

10. Re: Budget for 4 nights in Dublin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2014, 06:18