We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you wish someone had told you before you visited

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
vancouver, b.c.
Level Contributor
304 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
What do you wish someone had told you before you visited

For those of you who have already experienced Dublin, what did you discover you wished someone had told you before your 1st trip? Did someone give you advice that you found helpful or useful that you'd be willing pass on? Anything from public transport, public toilets, supermarket etiquette, restaurant behavior, how to generally not annoy the locals & be a good visitor. My thanks to anyone who shares

Springfield...
Level Contributor
193 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you wish someone had told you before you visited

We've been back just over a week. I'll try to help. :-)

1) Dublin is now smoke free inside any public building - including hotels and restaurants

2) Supermarkets in Dublin had more interesting stuff than any supermarket we visited in 8 countries - and I make it a point to always visit a local supermarket in every country

3) Flying into Dublin is your best view of all the "greenery" you expect to see.... i.e....Dublin is easy to get around, super friendly locals, and we loved it - but you will absolutely have to get out of Dublin if you want to see that dreamy, green area of Ireland that people picture in their minds. It was strange, really. Dublin is a large city so remember that if you don't plan to leave.

4) You can buy a Rambler bus pass at any convenience store. It was 10,75 Euros for a 24-hour family pass (2 or more people). The buses are clean, safe, and used by everyone - from little kids after school to the elderly. Easy-easy to use and a wonderful way to meet and see the locals.

5) The ATM in the airport will not let you withdraw more than 300 Euros.

6) The main tourist street in Dublin (near Temple Bar area) has a long line of taxis always waiting and the rate for up to 4 with luggage to the airport is only 20 Euro.

7)Proper tea is yummy - and they give you cream to add with it! HA I tried the cream but did not like it.

8)We've been to 13 countries now and Dublin was, by far, had the friendliest locals we ever met.

9) Aer Lingus is an awesome airline.

10) When flying from Dublin back to the United States, you must clear U.S. customs PRIOR to flying back - instead of when you land in the U.S. - which means you MUST be at the airport AT LEAST 3 hours early - I would suggest 4!! You will go through two security checks, too!

Any questions? Just ask. I may or may not have an answer but we loved Dublin and the Irish people.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
67 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you wish someone had told you before you visited

I'll just post one as it was a total surprise for me. We just returned from our trip to Ireland. The very first night, in Dublin, I plugged in my curling iron using the correct converter and set it to high as I always do. I left it for about ten minutes and when I came back, the hard plastic at the tip and sides of the curling iron had literally melted! Even when I set it to the low heat, it was still much hotter than on the high setting at home. Watch those electrics!

upstate NY
Level Contributor
61 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you wish someone had told you before you visited

Sign up for 'City of a thousand welcomes'. Free meet up w/ a local, either a pint or some tea is included . Very enjoyable and informative chat, it's set up for two hrs. You sign up on line.

Also enjoyed the sandeman tour.

Edited: 30 May 2013, 08:12
Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you wish someone had told you before you visited

My advice in Dublin is to avoid public toilets, many of which are filthy dirty and a hangout for thieves.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,579 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you wish someone had told you before you visited

I can't think of any actual totally "public" toilets in Dublin ... I mean like ones maintained by the city.

There are lots of public toilets attached to shopping centres and department stores that are maintained by the places they are located in. Some even charge a small fee (20c) to use the facilities but they are always really clean. My favourite toilets are in Brown Thomas, free to use and lovely smelly Molton Brown hand lotion and soap! :)

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What do you wish someone had told you before you visited

Cream with tea? Never heard of such a thing! Milk for tea, cream for coffee.

As no. 2 experienced, electricity over here runs at 220 volts compared to 110 in the USA. If your devices are not multi-voltage capable, at the very least they won't work, at worst they will catch fire.

Good luck finding public toilets in Dublin, the Council closed them all years ago.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What do you wish someone had told you before you visited

Public toilets used to be a source of entertainment as they were signed in Irish, and Mna and Fir mean exactly the opposite to what you would think!

Dublin
Level Contributor
914 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What do you wish someone had told you before you visited

Mind your bags. Mind your personal belongings. Keep physical contact AT ALL TIMES with your bag, purse. Don't leave your phone on the table of a restaurant/cafe.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,599 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What do you wish someone had told you before you visited

I got into the habit of having coins just for loos! The ones in shopping centres tend to be better. Since you are talking about that kind of thing.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,579 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What do you wish someone had told you before you visited

I love when a tread descends into potty talk ...