We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buyer Beware Rentalcars.com--rental cars from Dublin

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
74 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Buyer Beware Rentalcars.com--rental cars from Dublin

I booked on line with rental cars.com for my trip from Dublin to Killarney. I did not realize that they are not a rental company but a booking agent that then sells the booking to a rental car company. When I arrived a Thirty to pick up my car with my prepaid voucher, I was told that the insurance I purchased, at 17 Euros/day, was only with rental cars.com and if I wanted to be covered with Thirty I would have to purchase their insurance as well as be charged the excess. The excess is 1200 Euros charged to your credit card at the time of rental--not a credit card hold, but an actual charge. The rep stated that should the car be damaged (flat tire, broken windshield, etc.which is not covered by the 16 Euro a day additional insurance I needed to purchase) then they would keep the amount to pay for the damage. I was very concerned at what rate they would be charging me to fix the tire. I cancelled my reservation and went to another agency. The Dublin airport has Europcar affiliated with National in USA, Avis, Budget, and several other internationally recognized companies to rent from directly. Rentalcars.com stated that since I cancelled at the time of pickup that I will be charged a cancellation fee of THE TOTAL AMOUNT OF THE RENTAL 145 Euros! I am currently disputing this with rentalcars.com and my credit card company. Avoid the middle man; book directly with car rental companies. BTW navigation rental worked very well even in foggy weather. Personally I am very glad we chose to drive. For half the cost of a tour we saw everything we wanted. We left from Dublin and drove to Cliffs of Mohr by way of Limerick then down to Killarney--it was a long day but the roads where good and easy to drive. The next day we drove the Ring of Kerry and Skellig Ring this also had good roads, great scenery, and like being able to stop where and when we wanted. Only problem was a wrong turn off the Valencia Island bridge--our fault-- which put us on a gravel road about the width of a picnic table-I kid not--going straight up a mountain while the fog was rolling in. It was so steep when I finally got turned around almost stalled in 1st gear-yikes. But I lived to tell the tell and would still recommend it to others. The car was economy with very comfortable seats and prefect for 2 people--Hundi i20. Hope this saves some the hassle of a bad rental experience.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buyer Beware Rentalcars.com--rental cars from Dublin

The sentence "Avoid the middle man; book directly with car rental companies." sums it up. Even though it might look cheaper - avoid the middle man unless you are 100% sure what you are going to pay and what you're going to get for your money.

Orange, California
Level Contributor
57 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buyer Beware Rentalcars.com--rental cars from Dublin

Boy, can I relate to your story! We just returned from Ireland and got the same treatment from Thrifty (rented on the rental cars.com site.). I have initiated a dispute on my credit card as they charged us $60 (yes! $60) a day insurance on a compact car. I am sending a copy of my dispute to Priceline (who owns rental cars.com), and Thrifty rent a car company CEO,. Their website says NOTHING about the unreasonable insurance charges. If they stated them in their ads, NO ONE would even think of renting a car from them!. we had a lovely time in Ireland dispiite this problem but I will not rest until I get this outrageous charge dispute settledl. My advise, go directly with Avis, Hertz or Budget since they are reliable American based companies. I also found out that you often can get an even better deal with just showing up and renting a car when you arrive.. Budget offered me the best deal with no advance reservations (when checking the comparison rates at the airport) before returning home.

Edited: 20 November 2013, 17:06
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,030 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buyer Beware Rentalcars.com--rental cars from Dublin

rentalcars just arrange the booking. that is all. the problem arises from the American end where most people believe that the insurance is covered under their mastercard, but this insurance is not accepted in Ireland as it does not prvide adequate cover. thrifty, being an American company, do not include the insurance in their quotes for americans, as in the states, there would be no problem. however when you turn up to rent the car, they then charge you for the required insurance. your dispute is with thrifty.

why did you choose the thrifty quote? it was probably because it was considerably cheaper, due to not including insurance.

I had a similar problem when booking a thrifty car in Germany, but I put it down to my not reading the terms and conditions fully.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buyer Beware Rentalcars.com--rental cars from Dublin

In fairness, if you go to the rentalcars.com website they have the logos of Hertz, Avis, Europcar, Alamo etc on their front page, when you click on search they show a screen where they go through the various companies. They hardly conceal that they are an agent and not a rental company.

Likewise the text for their excess insurance states "When you pick up your car a deposit is usually held on your card for your excess which may be charged if the vehicle is damaged. Take our Damage Excess Refund and if you have any bumps or scrapes we'll refund any deductions from your excess". Once again they are clear on what they are selling. That said their fee for excess insurance is high and not good value.

Their cancellation charge probably arises as they have to pay the car rental company for the car, which was available for your use except you didn't take it!

Perhaps the title of this thread should be "Beware RentalCars.com, if you are not willing to read their website".

Booking direct with companies may well be wise, but anyone who doesn't read the website should beware of them too.

Edited: 20 November 2013, 21:53
Orange, California
Level Contributor
57 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buyer Beware Rentalcars.com--rental cars from Dublin

I did read the details but nowhere does it say that the insurance is $60 a day. Also, I am very familiar on how Priceline, Booking,com and the other sites work and have never had a problem using them. After reading several comments on Yelp I find that othr customers have had the same problem as I have, I wil continue to pursue this dispute until it is resolved.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,030 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buyer Beware Rentalcars.com--rental cars from Dublin

no, they probably will not say how much the insurance would be, as, if you rented in us, there would be no charge, but when you book for another country, the charges could be variable. when you booked, did the confirmation say....cdw insurance was included? don't forget, they use different franchisees in different countries.

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buyer Beware Rentalcars.com--rental cars from Dublin

YES, thank you for that info.. My sister, niece and mother (all of age) are taking a Scotland/Ireland trip in March 2014. We are flying into Edinburgh renting a vehicle and driving for our 18 day trip Last leg of trip will be in Dublin, which we will fly out of. I have all the hotels etc booked except for the rental cars. bc we are actually flying out of Edinburgh to cork and renting another vehicle.

Dublin
Level Contributor
989 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buyer Beware Rentalcars.com--rental cars from Dublin

Wendy J. Is there a question in there somewhere?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buyer Beware Rentalcars.com--rental cars from Dublin

Same advise from me : avoid rentalcars and thrifty if you don't want surprises. I was suppose to pay 30€ for a car during 3 days (I chose not to get insurance). At the desk they asked for a 1200€ deposit, and refuse my card (visa premier), because it is apparently a debit card. They wouldn't accept any of my friend's card cause it had to be the driver's card. So we had to take a 20€ /day insurance at the desk (multiplying by three the price of the car) to avoid paying the 1200€ deposit. For me it look like a trick to get you to pay for the insurance.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,700 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buyer Beware Rentalcars.com--rental cars from Dublin

No.. You can not rent a car on a Debit Card unless you pay all the insurance.. I am actually extremely amazed that you were allowed at all. Debit Card payment on Rental cars is generally/wholly limited to US visitors who book through one of the 2 US based offices I know of who allow this..