We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin with an 18 Year Old Girl

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
DC
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Dublin with an 18 Year Old Girl

I have been lurking on the Ireland boards, but this is my first post. Before I get to my questions, I want to thank everyone for the great advice as I have booked my tour (Vagabond) through what I have learned here. I never would have known about them otherwise.

We (my stepdaughter and I) will be visiting Ireland in July for just under 3 weeks. The first day in Dublin we will be arriving in the early a.m on a Sunday morning. It looks like we will have to take a taxi to the hotel the Grand Canal Hotel because the Air Coach no longer services the stop near the hotel. Is there any other alternative to a taxi? After we leave our bags at the hotel we will looking for a place to eat breakfast and a Tescos (to buy a cellphone). Any suggestions within walking distance of the Grand Canal Hotel?

The next 12 days we will be touring Ireland on Vagabond's 12 day Grand Tour: vagabondtoursofireland.ie/tours/…

After the tour ends on the 19th we will be staying a week in Dublin in the Temple Bar area. We plan to take a day trip back to Belfast to see the Titanic museum, but otherwise plan to spend the remaining days in Dublin.

Apart from purchasing tickets on the HoHo bus and seeing the sites what things are there to do for an older teen girl? She is very much a city girl who loves shopping, shows/music, and sweets. I am considering booking a tour a Butler's chocolate factory -- worth it? Also I am thinking of a few walking tours. I know about the Pub literary tour, but are other specialty ones -- such as music (thinking rock/pop music -- U2, Van Morrison, Sinead O'Connor etc) or ghosts? And what about the Viking exhibit/tour is this too young for her?

For shopping I know about Grafton street. We will probably spend a day there but what about flea markets or cool second hand shops that a college bound girl may enjoy?

Lastly, I want to have a formal tea and have been told The Shelbourne is the place to go?

Thanks so much for reading this!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,363 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin with an 18 Year Old Girl

Hi Lianne

It sounds like you have a fabulous holiday lined up for you both!

I can help you with some of your questions. I did the Butlers Chocolate Experience with a class of Pre teens and they loved it.....but I adored it ;-) The tour itself is quite interesting but I really enjoyed the part where you get to decorate your own chocolates.....and of course all the chocolate samples we got, delicious!

I would say you should think about doing the Viking Splash Tour....it's great fun and you get to learn some interesting things about the city. I do think how enjoyable the tour is can depend on the driver though, we only commented on this yesterday when two Viking tours passed us one after the other.....the first group seemed to be having a lot of fun!

With regard to shopping for something a little bit different, take her to The George's Arcade, close to Grafton Street but with some unusual little stalls. I also love A Store is Born and Jenny Vander for some vintage shopping. There are also a few unusual shops around Tempe Bar.

http://www.yelp.ie/biz/jenny-vander-dublin

spottedbylocals.com/dublin/a-store-is-born/

For more mainstream shopping at very affordable prices, take her to Penny's.

http://www.primark.ie/

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,363 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin with an 18 Year Old Girl

By the way I haven't tried the afternoon tea in the Shelbourne but I can highly recommend afternoon tea in The Merrion.....superb, but do book well in advance as it can be busy!

http://www.merrionhotel.com/page.php?pid=241

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,407 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin with an 18 Year Old Girl

Check this out for flea markets in the Dublin area:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186605-i90-k51544…

Ghost Bus Tour:

www.dublinsightseeing.ie/ghostbus/index.aspx

This will 'help' with shopping:

www.visitdublin.com/See_and_Do/Shopping

irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/best-sh…

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin with an 18 Year Old Girl

Just off Grafton st is South William st, Clarendon St, exchequer st, George's st and George's St.

She"ll fnd plenty to browse in fashion terms there. George's st market ( already on your radar) and the top of exchequer st have some funky/hip/vintage clothing shops. Also Cows lane at the weekend has a clothes market.

There are lots of cheap/ vintage clothing shops in temple bar at lower prices than the first lot mentioned above.

The local staples for cheap but more chain store style clothes are Dunnes/penny's/new look. All easy to find in the centre of dublin

I'm not much of a sweet fan but there is an "old fashioned" sweet shop on Dame st, which she might like.

Enjoy the trip

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,974 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin with an 18 Year Old Girl

The HIstorical Walking Tour of Dublin is excellent. We did this with our 18-year-old son and 21-year old daughter and they both enjoyed it. The guides are young history grads and ours was both informative and very entertaining.

The Traditional Musical Pub Crawl is also good. While you do visit 3 pubs, the tour is about the music, not the drinking. (You may buy alcoholic or non-alcoholic drinks in the pubs, or nothing at all. There's no pressure to drink anything on the tour--I didn't.) The music is excellent and the musicians are a lot of fun. (We've done the tour twice and the two musicians each time were very entertaining.) If your step-daughter enjoys singing, she may get a chance at the end of the evening to do a solo--my daughter did and I was amazed!

The Historical Walking Tour does not need to be booked in advance. The Traditional Musical Pub Crawl definitely should be booked in advance. We saw many unhappy people get turned away because they had not pre-booked.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin with an 18 Year Old Girl

For breakfast try http://www.dylan.ie/dublin-restaurants just past Grand Canal Dock train station a few minutes from your hotel.

If you take the Airlink into Dublin's Connolly Station the DART train will take you to Grand Canal Dock in 7 minutes. GCD train station is almost beside your hotel.

Ghost bus - covered already: Viking Splash - ditto

There is a TESCO Metro [whatever that is] on Baggot St. Go to the canan and follow it until you come to Baggot St - turn into the shopping area and you will find it - 10mins walk. Someone else who knows more about shopping might advise on whether a "METRO" is a place to get phones!

Get you HOHO on line - look at the Dublin Freedom Ticket which includes Airlink & HOHO. and local buses too.

This theater is close by - have a look at the shows in July, bordgaisenergytheatre.ie/whats-on/calendar-o…

Take a spin out to Killiney on the DART and walk back to Dalkey. [about 30 minutes] You will pass Bono's house and Van the Man's - and a little 5 min diversion will bring you to the gates of Enya's castle!

Spend some time in Dalkey http://www.ilovedalkey.com/ and look in at the heritage centre at Dalkey castle

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,579 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dublin with an 18 Year Old Girl

To the best of my knowledge neither the Tesco Metro nor the Tesco Express stock phones. The easiest thing to do is probably head for the Temple Bar area there is a Tesco near the corner of Fleet St and Westmorland St that stocks phones. There is also another branch in the Jervis Shopping Centre.

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dublin with an 18 Year Old Girl

I noticed the other day that Tesco has a concession stand dedicated to its phones on the ground floor of the Jervis shopping centre, near the information stand and the entrance to the Tesco supermarket.

DC
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dublin with an 18 Year Old Girl

Thank you everyone this is exactly what I need!

Dubfam -- thanks for the confirmation on Butler's Chocolate Experience -- I am booking it. Art Tea at the Meridan looks amazing! Thanks also for the shopping suggestions. Re: Viking Splash Tour is this the vehicle that drives on land and sea? Isn't there some sort of Viking Exhibit too?

Uasai -- Thanks for the links! The flea market sounds spot on and the ghost tour looks like fun!

Dublinminx -- What is the name of the sweet shop on Dame Street? (and thanks for the additional shopping info).

171956 -- Thanks so much for the restaurant advise and Tesco info. Re: arriving at the Grand Canal Hotel: It sounds like i would I take the AIrlink to the train station? Would I need to buy a train ticket too? The Freedom pass looks perfect for me, except that I would need to use it on non-consecutive days (the 7th, and then sometime from July 20-25) is this allowed?

Lollymcd & Andarma: Is there another Tesco that sells phones in the Dublin 4 area where my hotel is on the 7th (Grand Canal Hotel)? I won't be staying in Temple Bar until I return on the 19th and need to buy my phone before then.

Longhorn74: Thanks for the walking tour info. Do you have links for the tours or the company's name? Also, since your children are around my stepdaughter's age did you go to any bars that play contemporary Irish music that the college students listen to? I think my stepdaughter would really enjoy checking out the local music scene.

Thanks again everyone!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,363 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dublin with an 18 Year Old Girl

Hi

Yes the Viking splash goes on both land and water, its a WW2 amphibian vehicle. Dublinia is the exhibit you are thinking of.....it is interesting enough, but if time were limited I would chose The splash tour over Dublinia. The national Museum on Kildare Street has some wonderful Viking exhibits including a replica longboat, entry is free and although I live here I love visiting it and everytime I go I notice something different.

museum.ie/en/exhibition/viking-ireland.aspx

If your step-daughter is interested in fashion, she might also like 'The way we wore' exhibition at the national museum Collins Barracks.

museum.ie/en/…

Btw the sweet shop is called 'mrs Sims' I think and is a new 'ye olde type shoppe' rather than an original one, but if she likes sweets she will find almost everything there :-)

Enjoy!