We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking to the zoo.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,667 posts
446 reviews
Save Topic
Walking to the zoo.

Hello All,

My wife and I will be making our first trip to Ireland this summer. We’ll be doing this a part of a tour group (another first for us; we’ll see how we like that much structure on a trip, but that’s something for the trip report). The good news is that the itinerary looks very interesting and does give us a little time for exploring on our own. We will be in Dublin for two nights at the start of the trip and have two afternoons open to head off on our own. DW would like to visit the zoo (seems that we have to visit the zoo anywhere we go that has a zoo!). So, I’m wondering if we can just walk there from the Hotel Belvedere. Google maps shows the walking distance as just under 4 km (2.5 miles), so we’ll be walking 10 to 12 km total (so maybe 7.5 miles), so the distance is not a concern.

So, is this a realistic walk to make in terms of having a safe route (pedestrian walks; I would hate to get run over on my first day in Dublin).

Google maps give the default route as mainly along North Circular Road. Is there a better route? Or should be we looking to do some sort of loop to see more of the area? What about a loop that takes us down by the river? Or is this all just a bad idea?

And let me also ask the bigger question: is the zoo worth the time, since we have a limited amount of time in Dublin? The comments I have read on TA and elsewhere are generally positive.

BTW, the guided tour that is part of the package does not have a lot of details, other than mentioning the Bank of Ireland, Leinster House, St. Patrick’s Cathedral, and the architecture along the River Liffy. Trinity College and the Book of Kells is not part of the tour, but we’ll certainly include that in our own explorations.

Thanks,

OH

Christ Church Cathedral
Architectural Buildings, Sacred & Religious Sites, Historic Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
The Chapel Royal
Historic Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
St. Catherine's Church
Churches & Cathedrals
england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking to the zoo.

If you're there for two days I would get a HOHO bus ticket, the bus goes through Phoenix Park and has a stop at the zoo, I wouldnt waste an hour walking there, the bus ticket lasts for two consecutive days and is worth it in its own right.

Level Contributor
31 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking to the zoo.

I wouldn't bother walking along North Circular Rd. - not much to see there and some rough enough areas too.

Walk into the city centre and then along the river would be fine. Or you can take the Luas (tram system) from Abbey St. to Museum to take some of the walking out of it.

Can't comment on the Zoo itself - haven't been in it for years - but a lot of money spent modernising it in recent years and the Phoenix Park is a very pleasant area to spend a few hours, Particularly the Peoples Garden directly across from the Zoo and the Wellington Monument a few minutes walk away too.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,641 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking to the zoo.

The Zoo is lovely but we find it a bit tightly packed compared to for example Fota Wildlife Park in Cork (We were in Dublin Zoo twice last year, Fota Wildlife park on several occasions). The Meerkat enclosure in Fota is far superior to that in Dublin zoo.

But if your wife likes zoos, then she won't be disappointed in Dublin zoo.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking to the zoo.

The 46A bus runs from Parnell Square to the Phoenix Park, along North Circular Road. Maybe take the bus and do some walking in the park itself.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,667 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking to the zoo.

Thanks for the fast replies. Great tips. The bus pass or the tram both sound like good options. I'll do a bit more searching as well.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking to the zoo.

Dublin Zoo is one of the oldest in the world and opened in 1831. As such it started out in the thinking of the time - animals in cages. But it has as stated above been revamped and extended to give the animals a more realistic experience of where their wild relations live albeit in the confines of the 69 acres allotted to the zoo. As such and if for no other reason than to look at the still extant Victorian buildings, it is worth a visit. Here's a piece of trivia - the first MGM Lion in the movies was born in Dublin Zoo in 1919.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
28,432 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking to the zoo.

Yup, at least he didn't devour Ken Richmond.

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking to the zoo.

A visit to the Zoo is a wonderful experience but, as above, don't waste your time walking there, especially through uninteresting inner city streets. You'll be doing enough walking around the Zoo itself.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,589 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking to the zoo.

I find the walk to the zoo super boring regardless of route! I've done it once and combined with walking around the zoo I was exhausted. Take the HOHO as suggested or the 46a or the Luas from Abbey St to Museum followed by a short walk.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
185 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking to the zoo.

I'd agree with the bus.

Even to walk from Heuston Station took us almost half an hour, plus you would need at least a couple of hours to get around the zoo. It would all add up.