We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Countryside out of Dublin

Finland
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Countryside out of Dublin

I'm coming to Dublin on the 11th of June with a group of friends. Since we are going to stay for four nights, we thought that we could spend one day in the countryside. We are rather adventerous so we would like to travel by the local trains or buses (whatever would be easier). Our aim is to see the real Ireland (taking into consideration our time limitations), perhaps see a local must see place or scenery, head to a real countryside pub and eat and drink as the locals do. Any suggestions where we could be heading?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,593 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Countryside out of Dublin

You could get the St Kevin's bus to Glendalough and do some hiking there, visit some of the trails. Have lunch in the pub. Would you be able to stay overnight?

http://www.glendaloughbus.com/routes.aspx

You'll be seeing the "real Ireland" when you are in Dublin as well though!!! :) lol!

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,027 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Countryside out of Dublin

Glendalough (e.g. www.glendaloughbus.com).

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,593 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Countryside out of Dublin

Great minds Clauds ... :)

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,027 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Countryside out of Dublin

Yep, Lolly...

Feline, will you come back on the forum and tell us what you have decided to do?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
315 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Countryside out of Dublin

Glendalough is an absolute must to see if staying within Dublin and wanting to see some of the scenery that Ireland has to offer. The only way of getting there is by bus and as previously mentioned, St Kevin's bus services is best!

Finland
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Countryside out of Dublin

Thanks for all the advice. I'll definitely try Glendalough by bus. And yes, I know that "real Ireland" can be found in Dublin, as well :) Sometimes it's wisest just to stick to one place and explore it well. But the countryside in the UK is a must-see thing as well, don't you think?

Finland
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Countryside out of Dublin

My sincere apologies for my previous message. I mistakenly referred to Ireland as part of the UK (and I seem to be unable to edit my post). I hope nobody gets offended by it. I stand corrected (even though it's done by myself) and humbly apologise.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,535 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Countryside out of Dublin

If you want a taste of the real Irish countryside and real Irish people then you should come by bus (route 30 & 109) to Cavan:

www.thisiscavan.ie

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Countryside out of Dublin

The train trip to Wexford will give you lots of different views of Ireland - seascapes, cliffs, valleys, rivers and pastoral scenery.

There are lots of pubs and restaurants in Wexford.

10. Re: Countryside out of Dublin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2014, 05:17