We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

international drivers license required????

Sandton, South...
Level Contributor
121 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
international drivers license required????

We are hiring a car from the airport in Dublin and wondered if we require an international drivers license. We hold valid licenses and have hired in UK and Europe before without the IDL. I heard that should you need to claim from insurance, this would be a problem without an IDL.

Need advice please.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: international drivers license required????

No, it's not needed. I got this information from the Garda itself (they actually reply to e-mails from tourists!) I hired a car and drove all over Ireland with just my normal South African license.

As long as your license is written in English (being South African, it does have English on it), you do not need an "international drivers license".

The "international drivers license" is just a piece of paper with the information that is on your license translated into many different languages. It's not an "official" document, and my opinion of it is that it's just a money-making scheme by those who issue it.

A friend of mine (also South African) often drives in mainland Europe and he has never bought an "international drivers license" and it has never been a problem for him there either.

As far as being able to claim from insurance is concerned, you could answer that simply by asking that question directly to the insurers. I very much doubt that it would be required, as it's just a piece of paper - it does not pertain to your driving ability at all, so it's irrelevant as far as judging risk is concerned.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Sandton, South...
Level Contributor
121 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: international drivers license required????

Thanks for that.

How did you find the driving in Ireland? I have read some interesting posts about hiring a car there, from expensive to narrow roads. Cant be worse than the roads on the Isle of Skye. We have driven most places, even the south of Italy and not had a problem.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
15,799 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: international drivers license required????

When it comes down to it it is the car hire company and their insurers (as you pointed out) who decide what licence they are going to accept. If there is any doubt I'd check directly with them.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: international drivers license required????

As noted above the International Drivers licence is essentially a language thing. If your licence was in cyrillic, for instance, then this might be needed. Not in the OPs case.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,982 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: international drivers license required????

I believe you have 12months permitted on a non EU licence so unless you are planning a very extended holiday you will be fine.

New York
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
836 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: international drivers license required????

I've driven Skye, most of southern Italy and throughout Ireland, the latter two a number of times. You'll be fine. Enjoy!

Edited: 13 June 2013, 03:44
Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Sandton, South...
Level Contributor
121 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: international drivers license required????

Thanks to all of you for the advice. I'm sure we will manage just fine. We are really looking forward to the trip.

8. Re: international drivers license required????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2014, 05:18