We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four nights in Ireland - should Dublin be the base?

New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Four nights in Ireland - should Dublin be the base?

My family of 5 (2 adults, 2 college kids and a 14 yr old) will have four nights in Ireland at the end of Nov. We will be flying in from London where one of the kids is doing semester abroad. Aer lIngus has some very well priced packages but I can't figure out where to stay. Would you recommend flying from London into Shannon or Dublin? Price is similar. We live in New York so are not interested in too much "city" sightseeing but the two college aged kids want somewhere where there will be some nightime activity so I guess we should see Dublin. Would we be best to stay in Shannon and do day trips? Or stay in Dublin and do day trips? Any suggestions for an itinerary? I had not planned to rent a car but thought maybe go through tour companies? I am anxious about the driving on the left side :)

Level Contributor
164 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Four nights in Ireland - should Dublin be the base?

U seem to want to go to shannon. So go and stay in limerick r ennis both have good nite life. Limerick is a bit nicer the castle is under renovations but it maybe open by then also bunratty and lough gur are close for just a four day stay. I say limerick.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,689 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Four nights in Ireland - should Dublin be the base?

Do you plan to hire a car? Shannon itself is not somewhere I'd choose to stay.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,348 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Four nights in Ireland - should Dublin be the base?

Why limit to Dublin or Shannon, Cork or Belfast could be options maybe even Knock.

Four days is not long so into one airport and out from another might give you a couple of nights in two separate places. Dublin for the whole stay would work as would Galway or Killarney which whilst major spots don't have the city feel in anything like the same way.

New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Four nights in Ireland - should Dublin be the base?

No we were not planning to hire a car. Maybe we can stay two nights in Dublin and 2 nights in Limerick or Galway but i think we will be forced to hire a car if we are not based in one city.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,348 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Four nights in Ireland - should Dublin be the base?

Not at all there is a perfectly good public transport system between main towns and Tours will be available from Dublin, Galway even Limerick.

South Surrey, BC
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Four nights in Ireland - should Dublin be the base?

My husband and I will have 5 nights in Ireland early September. We could arrive in Dublin and leave from Shannon (or fly into and out of same airport) and we will be renting a car. Any suggestions must see places, good hotels and restaurants? We are not interested in 'night life' particularly or long walks. Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

7. Re: Four nights in Ireland - should Dublin be the base?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2014, 06:18