We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SIXT Car Rental Dublin Airport, Full Tank Issues

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
SIXT Car Rental Dublin Airport, Full Tank Issues

Very bad service!

When picking up the car at Dublin AIRPORT we had to wait quite a long time (but that was still ok). Then my credit card was not able to reserve the 1100 EURO excess we were supposed to reserve. We offered to pay the deposit in cash, but they wouldn't have it. So eventually we were forced to pay for 16 days of CDW. That doenw e went to pick up the car. There again we had to wait for a long time (it definitely was 20minutes). A guy just pointed to the car and said we could go... I was toally surprised cause last time I booked a car with another company (can't remember) they went around the car with me checking meticulously for scratches and so on.

While travelling and eventually having to put fuel in the car we started getting suspicious. Fuel price was below 1.60Euro per liter (June 20139 and the tank (we checked later on the internet to confirm our suspicions) was only 45l (car was Renault Clio). However we had to pay 109EURO for a full tank!!! What a rip-off! Nearly 40 Euro for WHAT??? Does anyone know how they come up with this price?

Also we ended up having huge issues in Dublin because due to a series of unfortunate events our car was parked in a parking that opened half an hour before our flight was to leave (blame to hotel for sending us there cause there car park was full). The hotel staff had offered to take the car to SIXT for free cause we had taken a cab to get our flight, but then SIXT was being really unhelpful and told them that the insurance doesn't cover anything. So we're gonna have to pay even more money since SIXT staff eventually picked up the car for us.

(We understand that we have to pay if they pick up the car, but they could have been more undestanding of the situation).

43 replies to this topic
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,107 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SIXT Car Rental Dublin Airport, Full Tank Issues

I take it that you would have had a full refund for the fuel had you returned the car with a full tank. If you don't have the "Hold" amount available on your credit card you have to buy full insurance no matter who you rent with. As to the car park issue, you have my sympathy but you can't blame a company for charging to recover their property. Sound like an expensive lesson learned.. Hopfully the rest of your holiday when along without problem.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,129 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SIXT Car Rental Dublin Airport, Full Tank Issues

If you had full insurance on your car, that's the reason there was no inspection. If you won't be charged for any damage done, you don't need a log of any existing damage.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SIXT Car Rental Dublin Airport, Full Tank Issues

Thanks for the reply. Regarding the fuel it's a new thing! We were specifically told to NOT fill up the car. There were even remarks about how we'd be able to figure out how much fuel the car uses in 16 days. It's also the first time we had to do it this way... Seems like a new trick...

Yeah, I agree, the fee for picking up the car is Ok :).

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SIXT Car Rental Dublin Airport, Full Tank Issues

Despite of this cdw, we still had 150 euro left in case of damage. Very confusing...

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SIXT Car Rental Dublin Airport, Full Tank Issues

Hi Sara,

I am Matt from Sixt rent a car U.K.

I noticed your post and wanted to see if we could help to clarify any misunderstanding regarding the charges. I therefore contacted the Franchisee in Ireland with whom you you had your rental. I must explain to you that whilst I can offer an explanation, Sixt UK is not responsible for your hire, I hope you understand that this brings with it some limitations.

At the time of collection an approval deposit is held on the credit card used for the hire. This is noted in the rental information online and normally during the booking process. The required approval was not available on your card, without the approval there is no rental. The branch offered additional insurance waivers to reduce your excess and therefore lower the approval amount. This solution offered by the location was accepted and therefore the rental could proceed. The alternative was simply not to allow the rental to progress, I guess your choice was whether to walk away and rent from another company or as you did in this case to take the additional waiver.

The vehicle supplied has a 55 litre tank. Fuel is charged with a service fee, as is standard industry practice. We understand that this is more expensive that refueling the vehicle at the garage and all customers have the choice to refill the vehicle before returning it.

Only insured persons can drive the vehicle and while we thank the hotel staff for their kind offer to return the vehicle, they were not insured to do so. In this circumstance recovery of the vehicle was the best available option. As per rental conditions a customer remains responsible for a vehicle and all subsequent charges until that vehicle is off-hired & returned to the branch.

I hope the above information is helpful, if you have any further questions feel free to contact me directly.

Best regards, Matt

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,107 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SIXT Car Rental Dublin Airport, Full Tank Issues

Matt

Just to Clarify ;-

if the car is returned with a full tank of fuel is the Whole fuel charge refunded as would be the case with every car I have rented from other companies (not having used Sixt (for reputation reasons, which you might take time to address separately with your Irish operation)) or would you just return the cost of the 55ltrs?

Edited: 28 June 2013, 13:53
Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SIXT Car Rental Dublin Airport, Full Tank Issues

Hi Matt

Well thank you for inquiring with SIXT Dublin and making an effort!

I agree with you on the credit card issues as I said in the post (I have also seen that it's even specifically mentioned in the fine print). I also agree on the pickup charge. It's very clear to me that SIXT wouldn't pick up the car in Dublin for free. All of this makes perfect sense.

Regarding the fuel I have to say that we were differently informed. Here also an extract from the small print of the email I got:

"Fuel Policy

Pick up full, return empty.

Fuel charges are payable at the rental counter.

Your vehicle will be supplied with a full tank of fuel and can be returned empty. On pickup the rental agent will charge you for a full tank of fuel. The price per litre charged by the rental agent may be higher than the price at the local service station. No refund for unused fuel.

Fuel charges are payable at the rental desk unless otherwise stated in the top section of rate details.

"

Again, I see it says that the car "CAN be returned empty", but we were specifically told by SIXT staff to NOT under any circumstances fill up the car. I am also not sure about the 55 litres. It seems highly unlikely to me that with a blinking fuel lamp we're able to put in 38litres and that there still was 17litres in the car. Also we checked online and most models seem to have 45 litres. We actually tried to check in the car documents, but we couldn't find them in the car. But I guess at this point I will just have to have some good faith in what you are saying and believe we actually paid for 55 litres...

Thanks again for your reply.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
18,634 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SIXT Car Rental Dublin Airport, Full Tank Issues

this sort of fuel charge is everywhere in the world. to fill up the hire company will charge you 2-3 times the normal charge. but as you saw in your contract, it just stated that you COULD return the car empty (if you wished) but you would be charged. it is difficult to know if you misheard the rep when hey were explaining it to you. my guess is that you did. ALWAYS the safest option is to return the car in the condition you got it (full tank) and then you can dispute it later if you have to!

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: SIXT Car Rental Dublin Airport, Full Tank Issues

It's great to see reps from carhire firms coming on Tripadvisor to explain things.

Carhire at Dublin airport truly has a bad reputation.

It would be great if the reps use these complaints as a means to clarify/simplify their services.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SIXT Car Rental Dublin Airport, Full Tank Issues

Sixt are experts at squeezing the last drop of cash out of you and hiding behind the small print. I had a similar experience with them at Manchester Airport last month. "Customer services" are completely useless. My advice, don't use them.

Reply to: SIXT Car Rental Dublin Airport, Full Tank Issues
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted