We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Kells from Dublin by public transport

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1 post
35 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Kells from Dublin by public transport

Hi,

I am planning a trip to Dublin next month and would like to visit Kells for the day. Can anyone help me plan my visit. I have all day.

Thank you

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Kells from Dublin by public transport

www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1318429077-109.pdf

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Kells from Dublin by public transport

Buses leave from Bus Aras (city centre) for Kells at 7.30 AM, 8.00 AM, 8.30AM and so on every half hour. The journey takes about 1.5 hours. Assuming you want a few hours there, the returns are at 14.45, 15.15, 15.45, again every half hour. The last returning bus is 19.15. The return fare is €18/19. It is bus #109 both directions.

Ireland
Level Contributor
548 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Kells from Dublin by public transport

In case you are arriving by air there's a route 109A from Dublin Airport to Kells:

http://buseireann.ie/pdf/1318605105-109A.pdf

Many of the route 109 buses whose destination is Cavan travel via the M3 motorway as far as Navan whereas 109s terminating in Kells travel the "old road" through Dunshaughlin and Navan. There are return route 109 buses until 22.45hrs.

Tickets can be bought online for a 5% discount; print the confirmation e-mail and hand to the ticket office clerk in Busáras. If the ticket office is not open or if boarding at the Airport (route 109A) just hand the confirmation email printout to the driver. The driver/ticket office clerk will give you your ticket in exchange.

Online tickets are date specific but not journey specific. Purchasable here:

http://buseireann.ie/

Alternatively just buy on the day from the ticket machines/ ticket office at Busáras or the ticket machines/from driver at the Airport. Bus Éireann have three types of return ticket - it's important to specify "Day" return when purchasing as the midweek and monthly return options are both somewhat more expensive.

The main bus stop in Kells is at the Church (Parochial House). For returning to Dublin the stop is just opposite at the Town Hall. The town hall has a section with tourist info available.

The Tower of Lloyd is walkable from the town but only open on certain days. Years ago apparently a school tour went there and one student wrote on his/her return of the inland lighthouse at Kells (even though the monastic town is miles from the sea!).

Hope you have an enjoyable trip.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Kells from Dublin by public transport

My apologies. In my previous post I indicated that the last returning bus from Kells was at 19.15, which as pointed out by visitourist is incorrect. The last bus is at 22.45. Here is the complete timetable for the #109 - www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1318429077-109.pdf

5. Re: Getting to Kells from Dublin by public transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2014, 05:17