We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SERIOUSLY! The Ha'penny Bridge is not The Love Lock Bridge.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
SERIOUSLY! The Ha'penny Bridge is not The Love Lock Bridge.

The Ha'penny Bridge is one of the most enduring symbols of Dublin City. It's nearly 200 years old (1816) and a protected structure. In the last two year Dublin City Council have had to remove hundreds of padlocks from the bridge on two separate occasions. They are unsightly and cause damage.

On Saturday when I was walking over the bridge I heard two tourists complaining that someone had "removed all the love locks from the love lock bridge" I find it really upsetting that this beautiful structure has become nothing more that a hanging place for lumps of metal and that it's two hundred year history has been forgotten, it seems even it's name has been robbed! The two people in question were genuinely upset that the locks were removed and couldn't figure out why someone would have done such a thing!

I'm appealing to all visitors to the city and locals alike not to partake in this destructive practice. There is nothing romantic about your lock being cut off by a bolt cutter, is there?

I have some pictures of the locks and the damage done here: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjGxQrf5

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
8,897 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SERIOUSLY! The Ha'penny Bridge is not The Love Lock Bridge.

Hear hear Lolly. Do you know when did all of this love lock stuff start and why ? I don't recall it happening a few years ago, its seems to be a recent enough thing.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,534 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SERIOUSLY! The Ha'penny Bridge is not The Love Lock Bridge.

Sorry ma'lord, ....didn't they used to hang people from the bridge too..??

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SERIOUSLY! The Ha'penny Bridge is not The Love Lock Bridge.

As far as I can figure out dubfam it started around 2010/2011. I recall the locks being removed in January 2012 but there weren't as many that time as there were last week. thejournal.ie/wheres-the-love-council-remove…

My understanding of it is that it's something you do when you are traveling abroad so hence why I am asking/begging here that tourists don't do it. I know it's become common place in cities like Paris and Prague. The local councils in these cities have even specially adapted the bridges to accommodate locks. I hope Dublin City Council can do something similar here but just not with the Ha'penny Bridge.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SERIOUSLY! The Ha'penny Bridge is not The Love Lock Bridge.

Hi Cavan, I have no knowledge of anyone ever being hanged off the Ha'penny Bridge. (Doesn't mean it didn't happen but I honestly don't think so ... )

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,534 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SERIOUSLY! The Ha'penny Bridge is not The Love Lock Bridge.

Perhaps it is not tourists, maybe it is people having to emigrate from this sad place just leaving something behind them as a token of their hope of returning some day.

Didn't they do away with public hanging some time ago........pity!!

Edited: 02 July 2013, 14:59
Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,772 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SERIOUSLY! The Ha'penny Bridge is not The Love Lock Bridge.

Well put, Lolly.

@dubfam - I think the practice was imported from Paris, where several bridges on the Seine are festooned with thousands of rusting locks.

I heard one just-wed English couple interviewed on radio, who said that they had come to Dublin especially to attach their lock, as the prcatice is "not allowed in the UK". Did it never occur to them to ask why it is not allowed?

Interesting that the vast majority of those interviewd in the radio piece were foreign tourists

Edited: 02 July 2013, 15:00
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SERIOUSLY! The Ha'penny Bridge is not The Love Lock Bridge.

Hey soonas, I'm pretty sure it's one of those things you "do when travelling" I seriously worry about the mentality behind something like this ... I mean, it's 200 years old for fecks sake!!! I dunno, maybe I should initiate some public hangings from the bridge!!! :)

Grrrrrrr .... I get soooooo mad when I think about it!

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
884 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SERIOUSLY! The Ha'penny Bridge is not The Love Lock Bridge.

Is it best to attach my lock before or after my sheep trail tour of Ireland? What are people wearing while attaching locks this year? Can I get here by public transport or do I need to hire a car?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SERIOUSLY! The Ha'penny Bridge is not The Love Lock Bridge.

Ah, lightblue7, thanks for the laugh, you've lowered my blood pressure!

You can para-glide in so long as you're not wearing white sneakers ...

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
57,082 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SERIOUSLY! The Ha'penny Bridge is not The Love Lock Bridge.

I'd love to find "Mertie" (or maybe "Bertie") who felt the need to leave their name and the year carved into a wall on Dunluce Castle I saw last week. Maybe it's time to bring back the hangings...