We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pickup/return rental car in dublin city

San Diego...
9 posts
Save Topic
pickup/return rental car in dublin city

hello,

we are staying at bewley's ballsbridge with my family for a few days after arrival. there are 7 of us - our 3 kids under 12, my husband and i and his parents. we will be going to athlone (for a wedding) and planning on renting a car to get there and explore cork afterwards. where in dublin can we rent a car, and any tips on getting a minivan/van? insurance?

when we return to the area a week later, it will be the night before we depart dublin. we are open to returning the car in another area close by away from the hustle of the city since it's just one night (malahide looks quaint). any rec's on how to do this? i read a few reviews that said return the night before and taxi it into the airport (flight is 11am).

thank you!

kim

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: pickup/return rental car in dublin city

see....enterprise.ie /

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,088 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pickup/return rental car in dublin city

We just arranged our Ireland/Northern Ireland car rental with Hertz. We were limited because not all agencies service both countries. Hertz was running a sale that made them the cheapest for us.

They didn't charge a drop off fee for renting in Dublin (South Circular Rd) and returning the car to their airport location.

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
742 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pickup/return rental car in dublin city

See if your airline might package a good car deal for you. And looking for a car deal is best initiated on one's own with Google, as nobody knows your needs as well as you do and there are phone numbers through which you can direct all such questions. Later, with subtle differences complicating your decision, you'll get much more solid feedback here.

A travel forum truly works best, ksv, when we make investigation of the initial inquiries ourselves and then bring the more refined questions forward following personal effort and investment in our own vacations.

Edited: 06 July 2013, 17:15
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,685 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pickup/return rental car in dublin city

who are you renting from? check if collecting from another address is an option. but if you are staying at bewelys, why not avail of their minibus to the airport (close by) and actually pick up your car at the airport, and then drop it back there when flying out?

Edited: 06 July 2013, 17:25
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,337 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pickup/return rental car in dublin city

You don't need a mini-van. With 7 people and luggage you need a large vehicle like the Volkswagen Caravelle or similar. And those vehicles are in high demand in summer.

I noticed from your other post you're traveling next month? I would recommend you jump on this immediately to see who has the vehicle you need, regardless of whether they're at a location near your hotel or if it involves going back to the aiport.

Check the majors like Avis, Hertz, Budget, Dan Dooley and see if anyone has what you need.

San Diego...
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: pickup/return rental car in dublin city

just booked with dan dooley for a 8/9 passenger mini-bus. we are ready for this adventure! cheaper to drop/pickup in one location (airport). will inquire with bewleys about using their mini-bus to the airport. thanks so much!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,685 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: pickup/return rental car in dublin city

oops. reading your original post, I see that you are staying at bewleys ballsbridge. I thought it was bewleys near the airport, so don't know if there is a minibus from ballsbridge. but I wonder, are you not entering Ireland through the airport? if so, why not pick up the minivan then?

if bewleys do not have a car/van to airport, ask them about one of the airlink buses or similar.

8. Re: pickup/return rental car in dublin city

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2014, 05:18