We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Suggestions of what I should do/see as only have 1 day

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
207 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Any Suggestions of what I should do/see as only have 1 day

my hubby and I will only be in Dublin for 1 whole day and night, so can anyone suggest what is definately worth seeing or doing, as I don't want to waste time seeing as not here long, I should say I'm not really bothered about galleries/museums. Also I know the Temple Bar are is more for the tourists, so does anyone know of any good central traditional bars that locals would go to.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,228 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any Suggestions of what I should do/see as only have 1 day

Where are you staying? The Guinness Storehouse or the Jameson Whiskey tour might be of interest

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
207 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any Suggestions of what I should do/see as only have 1 day

we're staying at Ashling Hotel, think it's about a 20-25 minute walk into centre or 10mins on luas.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any Suggestions of what I should do/see as only have 1 day

I've stayed at the Aisling a few times. It's a good hotel. You could do worse.

The Luas stops just across the bridge, at the entrance to Heuston Station. The next stop is in front of Collins Barracks (a nice museum). They are nearly equidistant from the Aisling, but the Collins Barracks stop MIGHT be a bit, 'Dodgy' after dark.

Best 'overview' would be the Hop On Hop Off bus, as the ticket is good for 24 hours. If you ride the entire circuit, it takes about 1.5 hours and is both entertaining and informative. After completing it, you can decide which stops might interest you. Best sites, for me, are O'Connell Street (GPO and the Monuments), Grafton Street (Shopping, people watching and the buskers), Trinity College (Long Hall and Book of Kells) and Kilmainham Gaol (History).

Smithfield (home of the Jameson Tour) is the next Luas stop from Collins Barracks. The Cobblestone Bar there is well known for its music sessions. Not far away, but across the river to the South, is the Brazen Head.

Bob

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,965 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any Suggestions of what I should do/see as only have 1 day

I agree that the HO/HO bus would probably be your best bet for getting an overview of the city and then you can return to places that seem interesting to you. I would get off at the Kilmainham Gaol stop since you'd have to take a bus anyway to get back there again. (You definitely want to tour Kilmainham Gaol!) If you enjoy walking tours, I can highly recommend the Historical Walking Tour of Dublin which leaves from the front gates of Trinity College. No advance reservation is needed. www.historicaltours.ie

In the evening, you might enjoy the Traditional Musical Pub Crawl. Yes, it goes through Temple Bar and yes, the patrons are tourists. But if you'd like to learn something about Irish music, Irish musical instruments, Irish history, and Irish culture, then this would be a fun way to do it. Advance bookings are highly recommended. www.discoverdublin.ie/musical-pub-crawl/

If you just want to listen to music, then the Cobblestone Bar is a good choice.

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
207 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any Suggestions of what I should do/see as only have 1 day

thank you everyone for your suggestions, that's great.

6. Re: Any Suggestions of what I should do/see as only have 1 day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2014, 06:21