We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin: finding good food and things to do at Christmas?

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Dublin: finding good food and things to do at Christmas?

Hi everyone:

I have just arranged a Christmas trip to Dublin. I chose a hotel because of its Christmas package (activities like listening to Irish music and getting Christmas dinner). But when I called to reserve a place, I was told that there is a rather large "single supplement" (fee added to the dinner and entertainment for being alone).

Perhaps I'm being a prima donna, but this does not sound promising. So I'd appreciate any advice from people who know Dublin about where I might find great food and entertainment on Christmas Day. I am rather early, but will need to book soon because I will soon be going out of town and spending a couple of months away from the internet.

Also, does anyone know of activities going on on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day? I have checked online and it seems like the theaters will be shut. I'm a huge Irish music and dancing fan, but would be happy with doing pretty much anything. Anything outdoorsy would also be fun.

Thanks a lot for any advice!

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin: finding good food and things to do at Christmas?

Everything will be closed Cgristmas day. The only places serving food ill be Hotels and similarly they will be the only places offering any entertainment.

Pubs and restaurants will be open Christmas Eve but will close earlier than usual. There are also limited opening hours n many places on the 26th.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,753 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin: finding good food and things to do at Christmas?

Name the hotel.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,575 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin: finding good food and things to do at Christmas?

I think the hotel may be your best bet, even with the extra fee. Legally pubs must close on Christmas Day.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,215 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin: finding good food and things to do at Christmas?

Yes it will be very quiet around the city on Christmas Day. You can use this to your advantage though and enjoy having the streets practically to yourself. Perhaps take advantage of the Dublin Bikes scheme and tour around seeing the sights - maybe even go as far as The Phoenix Park and join the people walking off the Christmas Dinner!

http://www.dublinbikes.ie/

http://www.phoenixpark.ie/about/

Edited: 03 September 2013, 11:23
5. Re: Dublin: finding good food and things to do at Christmas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2014, 05:18