We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchasing train tickets online

Ohio
Level Contributor
367 posts
205 reviews
Save Topic
Purchasing train tickets online

If I purchase tickets online, will I receive an e-ticket at time of purchase online to take with me to Ireland?

Or do I have to stop in the train station to get it?

Does it need to be validated at the train station?

We have bought train passes in the past so this is new to us.

Thanks.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,209 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Purchasing train tickets online

You get a booking reference and you use that to collect from a machine at the station

Ohio
Level Contributor
367 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Purchasing train tickets online

Do you have to wait till the day of to get the tickets or can we go a few days ahead and do the machine to get them?

Thanks.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
96 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Purchasing train tickets online

Just take your reference number with you , which station are you starting your journey from? I booked online from Dublin to Galway in June, I went to the machine in the station put in my number and out came my tickets. On the tickets are your seats numbers , when you get on the train overhead of your seats is your surname

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Purchasing train tickets online

You can collect them ahead of time from the machine but there's really no need to unless you really want to!

Ohio
Level Contributor
367 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Purchasing train tickets online

For the last night of our tour, company has us staying outside of Dublin so will have about an 1 1/2 hour trip to Dublin Heuston. Just wanted to not feel rushed so thought getting tickets ahead would help the time schedule. Besides it will be our first day to ride trains in Ireland.

Thanks for all the helpful comments.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,209 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Purchasing train tickets online

You can pick them up in advance should the opportunity arise. You can even pick them up from a different station.

i think most stations have machines now, but there are still a small number that don't.

7. Re: Purchasing train tickets online

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2014, 05:18