We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can we take a rental car from England to Ireland

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Can we take a rental car from England to Ireland

Hi,

My apologies if this question is answered somewhere else. I am planning to visit both England and Ireland. I will rent a car in England and I am wondering if I can take my rental car to Ireland.

1) Is it allowed, depending on the traffic laws

2) Do any ferries allow us to take cars

I want to visit Dingle and Galway in Ireland. What is the best way of travelling in Ireland if the we can't take our car. I guess I can rent a car again. How is the train or bus services

Please advice.

Thanks

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can we take a rental car from England to Ireland

Ferries take cars, thats the easy bit. We go over three or four times a year, but this is in our own car. There are hire companies that allow their cars abroad but there will be a surcharge and you must make it a round trip and bring it back. Ferries are expensive too, approx £250 per round trip.

It depends where you are visiting in the UK, If you are mainly in London it would make more sense to fly, if you are in West Wales to start with (the ferries go from Wales not England) the ferry might work for you.

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Can we take a rental car from England to Ireland

Thanks for the update. I would be living in Manchester and I will be driving till Holyhead and taking a ferry from there.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can we take a rental car from England to Ireland

No problem then,its a nice drive along the North Wales coast to Holyhead, but if it is a hire car just be sure to tell them where you are going.

4. Re: Can we take a rental car from England to Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2014, 05:18