We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malahide

Wrexham, UK
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Malahide

Hi,

I'm a regular visitor to Dublin and am bringing my mum next week (she's been twice before too). The main rason for our visit is to see Brian Kennedy and we are staying at Trinity Capital Hotel.

This is the plan....

Monday 10th July

Arrive at 9am, drop stuff off at hotel and get Luas line to Ballally to visit Dundrum Centre. Return to City Centre mid afternoon to relax and visit Trinity College before returning to hotel to get ready for the show (at The Olympia)

Sorted!!

Tuesday 11th July

Planning a visit to Malahide today. I've been before and want to take mum. Don't think I made the most of my time last time so a few questions......

Are there any cute shops....gifts, household goods?

Where would you suggest for lunch?

Is there a lovely place along the marina to sit and relax a while?

Do you think there is time to visit Portmarnock and Howth?.....if so what will we find of interest in these places?

Then its back to Dublin to get ready for our second concert.

Wednesday 12th July

I visited Powerscourt last time and know it is somewhere my mum will love. Is there an easy way to get there other than doing the South Coast Tour. I'd prefer to get there under our own steam is possible so we are not restricted but time.

Then its back to the airport and home on a 6pm flight.

Thanks for your help.......x

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Dublin
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Wild Rover Tours
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Collins Day Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Bus Tours
Irish Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
213 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malahide

Hi Caroline,

I'd swap Powerscourt to the second day to give yourselves a bit more time and not have to get into a panic to get back to the airport on time.

There is a little Italian in Malahide that's lovely but I can't for the life of me remember the name! It's on a hill.

Enjoy!

Bee

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malahide

I ate at Oscar Taylors in Malahide a few months ago and also eating there were the PM Bertie Ahern and his family including Nicky Byrne from westlife! Nice views of the sea, not smack bang in the centre of Malahide but not far out of it. Not a hugely expensive place but fantastic food with a dublin theme.

Dublin
Level Contributor
82 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malahide

Caroline

Malahide - get the DART out and you're right in the centre of the town. There are plenty of little boutiques / shops. Theres also Malahide Castle which is in a gorgeous setting just outside the village. Right down in the marina theres a nice candle / gift shop and theres also a nice restaurant called Cruzzos (www.cruzzo.ie). Theres also a lovely chinese called Silks and a thai called Siam Thai, all in the village centre. There are some lovely pubs as well that all do bar menus / carvery food if you'd prefere that to a restaurant as well as several casual cafe type places.

Dont bother with Portmarmock - lovely beach but no village as such and the beach is a fair walk from the dart station.

Howth is another lovely village, again with some nice shops (although its very hilly, not sure what age your mam is!). There are some really nice restaurants there as well, The Bloody Stream is a pub right under the DART station which does really nice food too. There are lots of other restaurants in the area, if you want any more suggestions, post again.

You can get to Powerscourt on public transport - you can get the dart to Bray and then the 185 to Enniskerry. Or bus 44 from Townsend Street to Enniskerry. Some companies do day tours as well - Gray Line Tours does a full-day trip to Powerscourt and the village of Ballykissangel; contact Dublin Tourist Office, phone +353 1 6057705. I would say you'd be best to do Powerscourt on day 2 wne you re not restricted for time.

Malahide / Howth are on the right side of the city for the airport so if your bags arent too heavy/cumbesome you could bring them with you. Or else you could head to the airport, put your bags into storage there (left luggage depot in the car park) and get the bus (the 230) to Malahide (or a cab) - its not far at all - for the day.

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malahide

Malahide Castle is well worth a visit.

5. Re: Malahide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 11:24