We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Days in Dublin...suggestions?

Boston
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
3 Days in Dublin...suggestions?

We are going to Dublin for the first time in two weeks and are looking for suggestions. We are staying at the Fitzwilliams hotel, has anyone got an opinion of it ? Last any advice on private or orginized tours ?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
213 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Days in Dublin...suggestions?

Hey Dlgoldman,

I sound like a broken record on this site and I promise I don't work or have anything to do with Dublin Bus but I think the first thing you should do in any city is go on a hop on hop off tour just to get your bearings.

www.dublinbus.ie/sightseeing/index.aspx

I would recomend you go to the museum of archaeology and history where you can see the 'Bogmen' which are bodies of two men found from the Bronze age....impressive if you're into that kind of thing.

Bee

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Days in Dublin...suggestions?

I live in Dublin so haven't stayed in the Fitzwilliam hotel but it is a superb location and has a good reputation.

Bus tour is definitely good and you can get off at all the attractions including the newly renovate Guinness factory which I enjoyed recently. You'd have to have some interest in Guinness though.. The tour ends with a pint of Guinness in the gravity bar which has a great 360 degree view of the city. You can get a horse and cart to take you back to the city centre which was great fun.

An alternative to the Dublin bus hop on/off tour is the Viking splash tours. THese look like great fun. This is a bus which can also and does drive into the river Liffey for part of the tour. The participants were viking helmets and ROAR at rival bus tour companies.

Great free museums around the Kildare st area, 5 mins from your hotel.

Grafton street area and Temple bar best for pubs. Temple bar more touristy and very few Irish people there but still great fun. Grafton street/Dawson st. area you'll find more locals. Grafton st 1 min from your hotel.

ireland
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Days in Dublin...suggestions?

firstly the fitzwilliam is a great hotel, i would recommend a trip into the beauty salon there, wow best massage EVER!!!

the viking tour is great craic. the guiness brewery is worth the time. best thing to do would be to try dublintourism.ie

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
119 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Days in Dublin...suggestions?

Fitzwilliam hotel is a great base and a lovely hotel.

Go visit the smithfield chimney in the city centre, there is a viewing area at the top. Great views.

Spend a day out of the city, get a taste of life outside the city. Go to powerscourt village, powerscourt gardens and waterfall. Powerscourt only 40 mins from the city.

Dublin, the parts of it you want to see anyway, is very small. Do the bus tour and if you have kids do the viking tour as well. Other then that walk. Walk around Trinity college, grafton street and merrion square. Visit the Dail (paliament buildings) and the natural history museum. Go have a pint and a toastie during the day in a bar in temple bar.

Other then that I think Dublin is a place where you get up in the morning , go out and see what happens.

5. Re: 3 Days in Dublin...suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 13:16