We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch Tea with eldery Aunt

Dublin, Ireland
5 posts
Save Topic
Lunch Tea with eldery Aunt

Am living in North County Dublin & want to bring my 70+ aunt somewhere nice - but not cool or cutting edge - for lunch. We've done the Shelbourne, Gresham type venues to death, so am now looking for somewhere outside of Dublin centre, that might have an interesting garden or might be in a town with cute shops. Thought of Carlingford but haven't been there for years - any recommendations?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
8,948 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lunch Tea with eldery Aunt

Hi Susan, have you been to the Avoca Cafe at Malahide Castle? That might be nice for your aunt and you can take a stroll around the grounds after lunch. Alternatively there is a lovely cafe in Ardgillan House in Skerries and again a nice garden to stroll around, similarly Farmeligh House in the Phoenix Park would be nice too.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
21,589 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lunch Tea with eldery Aunt

several nice places around, but you are from north county, so you should know of these!

what about the grange in ballyboghill? or the restaurant run by the same people in malahide football club on the coast road at malahide? then again, piles of nice places on howth pier

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lunch Tea with eldery Aunt

What about Tankardstown House near Slane?

www.tankardstown.ie

Dublin, Ireland
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lunch Tea with eldery Aunt

Dear Dubfam - thanks for the recommendations. I suppose familiarity breeds contempt in my case, I'm a regular at Ardgillan house for the playground so I was looking for somewhere with white tableclothes and waitress service for my aunt. Re Avoca in Malahide, I love all that Avoca stands for except the extraordinarily high prices for self-service & poor acoustics and you also have to pay to browse around the gardens. I hadn't thought about Farmleigh so that's a good tip. thanks

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
8,948 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lunch Tea with eldery Aunt

You're welcome Susan!

There's a little art gallery in Farmleigh and there is usually a good exhibition on. The boathouse cafe is lovely and the walled garden is beautiful - they should have a big crop of pumpkins and squash there now.

The Botanic gardens would be nice too and either have lunch there or head up to Andersons in Glasnevin for something.

Whatever you decide have a great day out with your auntie.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,421 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lunch Tea with eldery Aunt

Powerscourt or the Ritz Carlton in Enniskerry great for a day out and not that far from Bray.

Edited: 07 October 2013, 19:38
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
28,955 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lunch Tea with eldery Aunt

I enjoy this one, you might too.

www.hunters.ie/

Dublin, Ireland
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lunch Tea with eldery Aunt

Dear Wrappido & Lord Kimmage - thanks for the Wicklow tips. I'm a bit curtailed by time in this instance but the Ritz Carlton & Hunters Lodge both look great. another time...... Thanks

Dublin, Ireland
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lunch Tea with eldery Aunt

Dear Nakagoli - thanks for your tips. I agreee the Grange in Ballyboughal is great, as is their shop and gallery, so many nice things to browse through - but we did this venue last year. The Gourmet Cafe at Malahide United also gets my vote - great views, good food at reasonable prices but it's more casual than I was looking for. I has forgotten about Howth so I'll look into that now - thanks

Dublin, Ireland
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Lunch Tea with eldery Aunt

Dear Bikes-tour - thanks for the tipe re Tankardstown House - hadn't heard of it before so will definitely investigate.