We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crazy to visit Ireland in January due to weather?

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Crazy to visit Ireland in January due to weather?

I almost fell off my chair when my spouse just came in all excited about a deal of a trip to Ireland. (If I nudged a bit, he might be willing to book it!??) You know the kind - car, choice of hotels, etc. We have driven in many countries with winding, narrow roads and also in cars with steering opposite of what we are used to. I would rather not go if the weather is likely to prevent us from doing much. Wondering if the rain is just the misty kind or are there heavy downpours at this time of yr? I would much rather go in, say, April or May, but we have 2 kids getting married next yr. and one of them will marry in May or June. Already also had a cruise booked that we hope to still be able to take, so I'm afraid Jan is the only month we could go, I would rather wait if the weather will likely make the trip miserable and fog, etc. will block the pretty views. Wondering if the popular tourist destination buildings (castles?) would be open, but mostly our focus would be taking in the scenery and a little bit of a couple of cities. Of course, IF we get to go, I'd head right to the library and bookstore and start combing these threads as I definitely will have work to do in planning an itinerary! I would really appreciate some input from those who have been there at this time of year.

Edited: 11 October 2013, 17:42
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Crazy to visit Ireland in January due to weather?

People don't come to Ireland for the weather for example May 2013 was cold and wet so there is never a guarantee of good weather here.

Daylight hours will be shorter but there will be less tourists and there is nothing better than getting cosy at a nice fire place with logs burning. If this is the only time you feel you might be able to get away - go for it !

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Crazy to visit Ireland in January due to weather?

I say go for it too if you have a good deal.

The Irish landscape and coasts can be especially dramatic in winter with a bit of wind .

The light in winter will be special and you'll have the roads and scenery more or less to yourself.

Cities in January have a special buzz and it's a great excuse to warm up in a pub with a bowl of soup or something stronger!

Did you have any vague idea of itinerary?

Belturbet, Cavan...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Crazy to visit Ireland in January due to weather?

January is usually a dry & sunny month but cold and frosty, crisp weather, bring hats and gloves(and sunglasses if you are hiring a car as the winter sun is blinding). It is a good time to visit, rains more in March and April, there may be some snowfall and there will be frost. Lots of warm fires and great food indoors and clean fresh winter air outside.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Crazy to visit Ireland in January due to weather?

Sounds good to me! These latest replies have me thinking again. If ONLY my husband could find the offer again! (He deleted it THEN started thinking we should go and told me. Unfortunately, he couldn't retrieve it on his Ipad for some reason. I think it probably came as "junk" and when he emptied the junk file, lost it forever. :(. Still, I am going to keep watching and who knows? About 5 or 6 yrs. ago we were in southern Scotland and all over the place in England the last wk. of Oct. and first wk. of Nov. We had a mix of weather, but no really heavy rain except one night when we were in the Cotswolds. I bring that up because we did, in fact, have a lovely and cozy dinner in a pub right by the fire. It had drizzled on and off all day when we were visiting Warwick Castle and Stratford on Avon, but it didn't really hinder us at all. I guess we all take our chances when we travel as no one knows what the weather will be like. We are from the middle of the U.S. and are used to all sorts of winter weather! We get days where you could wear shorts and days when the temp is several degrees below zero F. We get rain, snow, drizzle, ice and so on. So - right now I guess it will depend upon whether we see a super deal or not!

Thanks for ALL of the info. everyone has posted. It helps to "talk it out" on these boards sometimes!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Crazy to visit Ireland in January due to weather?

…groupon.com/deals/…

Check out the groupon deal

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Crazy to visit Ireland in January due to weather?

Don't those offers show up on TravelZoo?

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Crazy to visit Ireland in January due to weather?

Thanks for the replies.

Sharon, I have private messaged you so please check your tripadvisor messages.

obsession 57, good tip but I checked the last couple of Travelzoo notices that I rec'd and the particular one he saw was not in there. (I often delete them rather quickly when I think I am not going to refer back to them and the deleted things disappear from the folder after a few days.) I did see one in Sherman's Travel newsletter, but it didn't incl. any accommodations and was a bit more, I think. Found a few other pkgs. but nothing quite as low priced.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Crazy to visit Ireland in January due to weather?

Try doing a search for Ireland on Travelzoo's main site and you should find plenty of options.

I just booked a trip for January because I couldn't resist the low airfare deal. I'll be staying in Dublin though and not driving.. I would love to do a day trip and see some scenery outside the city if the weather allows but I figure there will be plenty to do indoors if that's not possible.

I say go for it if you can find a package that appeals! The weather is never a guarantee and it will be an adventure!

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Crazy to visit Ireland in January due to weather?

Er, Rach what are you doing over here on the Dublin forum???

Get back to the Paris forum NOW!

Wouldn't want to lose one of the rare sane voices we have there!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Crazy to visit Ireland in January due to weather?

lol Sean no worries, I can multi-task!

I will be in Dublin for the 1st time in Jan & need some tips & advice. Will be in Paris as well so I can repay you with maraschino cherries. ;)