We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from Airport to Powerscourt

UK
Level Contributor
165 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Transport from Airport to Powerscourt

Hi all

Can anyone give me some advice on transport options from Dublin airport to the Powerscourt Hotel (formerly the Ritz Carlton)?

We are staying at Powerscourt for 2 nights (for a wedding) followed by 3 nights in Dublin. We will then need to get from Dublin back to the airport (haven't looked into this yet, I imagine there are a few options).

I have been quoted by the hotel 70 euros from Airport to Powerscourt and 40 euros Powerscourt to Dublin (they use Network Taxis). The airport to hotel leg seems a bit steep to me. Can anyone recommend any cab firms (pre bookable) so I can get some alternative quotes? I have tried to google them but no idea where to start.

We would consider taking the bus or train, but I think the train stops at Bray and then there is a further 15 min car journey to Powerscourt?

We would rather not hire a car due to hassle, parking issues/cost and drop off etc.

Many thanks.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport from Airport to Powerscourt

Powerscourt is off the beaten track. The nearest village in Enniskerry where the route 44 bus from Dublin finishes. the hotel is about a mile or a little more beyond. You could use that on the return.

€70 is probably about right for the taxi. Have a look at transportforireland.ie/taxi/fare-estimator/

You could take the Airlink 747 bus into the city, get off at Tara St DART station and take the train to Bray. You could take the route 185 from Bray - every 2nd one goes though Enniskerry to Powerscourt.

Airlink 747 runs every 15 minutes and takes about 20mins into Tara St. The trains to Bray are also every 15 mins and the trip is about 40mins. The 185 to Powerscourt is at "1/4 to" the hour and will have you there in about 30 mins or less.

If you are bringing luggage the taxi is probably the best bet and by coming around the M50 [Dublin By-pass] will have you there in about 45mins.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport from Airport to Powerscourt

An alternative would be the aircoach to Bray and take a taxi from there.

€12 for the bus and around the same for the taxi.

or aircoach to Leopardstown €8

and taxi €20 to Powerscourt

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,248 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport from Airport to Powerscourt

Another vote for Aircoach to Bray + taxi. Getting to Dublin will probably be a combination of taxi + train/tram/bus, depending on where you're staying.

UK
Level Contributor
165 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport from Airport to Powerscourt

Thanks everyone, I feared that there was no easy alternative option. Feasibly, with 2 suitcases and hand luggage, I think we're going to have to pay for the taxi (or hire a car) We are stopping at the Westin in Dublin and don't really want the hassle of having to drop off luggage then find the hire car depot etc. etc.

On our first night in Dublin we're also going to Johnnie Fox's pub but I believe they operate a bus to and from Dublin?

Thanks again for all your great advice. :-)

UK
Level Contributor
165 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport from Airport to Powerscourt

171956 - thanks for the link. It calculates the route as 70.60 euros so can't really argue about the quoted taxi fare!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport from Airport to Powerscourt

No problem. The NTA website also has a National Journey Planner that will work out any "To/From" route by public transport.

Johnny Fox's is also off the beaten path, the very infrequent 44B bus route serves the village of Glencullen where it's at. So hopefully they have their own shuttle. I live not too far but have never been in - it looks a bit OTT [touristy] - but must visit some day and have a pint.

UK
Level Contributor
165 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport from Airport to Powerscourt

I've just checked Johnnie Fox's' website and thankfully they operate a return shuttle for 10 euros (the pub trip is more wedding shenanigans).

Thanks again.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport from Airport to Powerscourt

Ah, so you saw the photo - you get the idea! I notice they are 25/35 mins drive from the city [ignore Red Lights - another one for the Drive Like a Native thread ;-)] and the Express Bus takes 1h10m .

The place is always buzzin' when I pass it.

Their menu is heavily loaded towards those who like seafood [I don't, one reason that I've not visited] but 'mountain' and 'chowder' in the one dish boggles the imagination - enjoy!

UK
Level Contributor
165 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport from Airport to Powerscourt

My husband will be pleased about the seafood, me not so much :-(

Thanks for the tip about the journey time, I will see if there are any other wedding guests in Dublin who we can share the taxi ride with.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,647 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport from Airport to Powerscourt

You will be quite isolated out at The Powerscourt hotel without a car - would you consider hiring one and driving from the airport then dropping it back to the city rental office when you go back to Dublin for the rest of your stay.