We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tracing Our Roots in Ireland

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Sioux City...
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tracing Our Roots in Ireland

Planning a trip to Ireland sometime next year, know we want to visit Dublin and counties Mayo and Cork to trace family. Any ideas on time of year, where to stay etc. Will probably be able to be there for a week to 10 days. Don't want to do a tour, will probably just drive part of the way or rent a car. Any help would be appreciated

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,037 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tracing Our Roots in Ireland

You will need a few different bases, you can't do all those from one place. May or September tend not to be so busy and there's a reasonable chance of reasonable weather!

South Sioux City...
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tracing Our Roots in Ireland

Thanks, what would be reasonable driving distances as second and third home bases?

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tracing Our Roots in Ireland

Do as much research as you can about your families before you come, most of what you need to find out will be easier done from home checking out records on the internet. Do you already have names, dates, possible places?

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,500 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tracing Our Roots in Ireland

1st use Google.ie /

and type in the search box " 1911 CENSUS "

good luck.

Level Contributor
79 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tracing Our Roots in Ireland

What really helped me was getting a copy of a death certificate of my oldest known relative. It gave me the names of my great-great-grandparents for the first time.

Edited: 05 November 2013, 03:19
Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tracing Our Roots in Ireland

Your question about driving distances from home bases - it depends a bit on the area. If you are near a motorway obviously you will go faster and easier than if you are down country boreens. And if you have to escape from a city that will also add driving time. Generally though about 40 miles would be a reasonable distance.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
2,934 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tracing Our Roots in Ireland

Remember that both Cork and Mayo are very large counties. Mitchelstown to Allihies must be 200km and Ballyhaunis to Belmullet in and around 150km.

What this means is that you will get a lot more out of your trip if you can identify where in the counties your ancestors were from and select your bases appropriately.

If in doubt, Cork City and Castlebar are probably the best bases to make the whole of either county accessible.

When you're in Cork, check out Cobh as if your ancestors emigrated before the 1950s, it's almost certainly where they left from.

Edited: 05 November 2013, 10:30
Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,461 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tracing Our Roots in Ireland

If you have the death cert of your ancestor then you will probably also have an address where they lived. You may be able to trace this through the 1901/1911census: www.census.nationalarchives.ie

You can search online available parish records on: www.rootsireland.ie

You will find ship passenger records for emigration to the US on the Ellis Island website.

You might be able to find other family members on the www.ancestry.com website.

Good luck with your search and trip to Ireland, strongly advise to do as much as you can online beforehand.

Edited: 05 November 2013, 11:01
South Sioux City...
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tracing Our Roots in Ireland

Cobh is on the list as my inlaws went there on their trip and loved it!

Springfield, VA
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tracing Our Roots in Ireland

A lot is going to depend on when your ancestors emigrated. My husband's family emigrated in 1864, which meant that they left before the advent of civil records (meaning the primary source for his family is in church records, which are available online for some areas but not others). The Ellis Island website was out for us, as Ellis Island was only used between 1892 and 1954 (before that the immigration point was Castle Garden). In any event, his family disembarked at Montreal and then made their way to the US, according to family folklore.

I will say that I found the message boards at Ancestry.com very helpful -- some of the regular posters there went above and beyond to help us find information prior to our recent trip.