We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time flyer, Dublin- Chicago- Nashville, help?

Belfast, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
First time flyer, Dublin- Chicago- Nashville, help?

First time flyer and flying alone so freaking out!

So flying from Dublin to Nashville, but have a connecting flight in Chicago O'Hare

Wondering if you guys could answer a few questions or give me some info?

I booked with aer lingus which is operating United Airlines in the states it said?

So when I go through US preclearance in Dublin at Terminal 2 what do I do next?

Also what do I do when I get to Chicago, I arrive at terminal 5 have a 5 hr 30 mins connection time then depart to Nashville from terminal 2.

Please can you guys just help me out, I have no clue what to do at airports and scared about immigration etc and whether Ill get lost lol!

Please and thank you for any help

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time flyer, Dublin- Chicago- Nashville, help?

you need to relax.

It will be a code share probably on United aircraft. After Pre-Clearance at T2 you board the aircraft after 2 more security checks.

When you get to Chicago you will arrive as a domestic passenger and make your way to your connecting flight / terminal. ORD is well sign-posted and if you do feel overwhelmed, stop someone and ask them for directions.

Don't forget your ESTA, check in online 24 hours beforehand and print both boarding cards.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,443 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time flyer, Dublin- Chicago- Nashville, help?

Chicago's O'Hare airport is one of the few airports in which I don't mind having a long layover like yours. There are a lot of walkways between Terminals 1, 2 and 3 where you can walk so you aren't sitting for 5 hours after having sat for so long on your flight to the States.. (A nice bit of exercise.) Also, you'll find some interesting exhibits on these walkways--art, dinosaurs and a very nice one about the namesake of the airport, Edward O'Hare, a World War II Navy pilot who received American's highest award for wartime bravery, the Medal of Honor.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time flyer, Dublin- Chicago- Nashville, help?

Even tho I live in Chicago, I've never changed terminals. However, I can give you a few pointers. If you come into Terminal 5, that's the international terminal. I don't know if you'll be collecting your luggage and going through customs, but I'm sure you'll get directions on this.

Proceed out the double doors to the front of the terminal to the tram. Get on one going to the left, or toward the terminals, not going to the right, out to the parking lots. Hopefully this is well marked. You will pass by terminal 3 and then 2, where you will disembark and then you'll have to go through security again. And don't look for terminal 4 because there isn't one!!!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
533 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time flyer, Dublin- Chicago- Nashville, help?

You'll be on a regular Aer Lingus flight to Chicago. You'll go through customs in Dublin, they'll ask you all the questions about meat, cheese, and whiskey (all limited or excluded). My advice is to not bother taking food onto the plane unless you intend it as gifts. if you're doing that, you can check the quantities and restrictions on the US State Department website.

Going through 'preclearance' (US Customs) in Dublin means you won't have to do any of that when you get to Chicago, you'll just collect your bags and go to the domestic terminal, where you'll have to go through security (TSA). Since you have a long-ish layover in ORD, just keep in mind that you can take food through the security checkpoint, but no liquids over 3oz, so finish your pints beforehand.

One other thing - don't expect much pampering on domestic flights in the US - they are very business-like and can sometimes be brusque to the point of rudeness (Aer Lingus has spoilt me, I'm afraid).

As others have posted, O'Hare is a pleasant airport with exhibits and good signage...and most people are helpful if you ask. I would suggest that you make your way directly to the domestic terminal as soon as possible. If you're hungry or thirsty there will be food and drink there in abundance.

I'm sure you'll have no trouble, so relax and enjoy your trip.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,856 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time flyer, Dublin- Chicago- Nashville, help?

When you are checking in at Dublin airport, enquire if you can have your luggage checked all the way through to Nashville and save yourself the hassle of having to collect and check in at Nashville and do the same on your return journey from Nashville and see if you can get it checked in all the way through to Dublin. Have a great time in Nashville, it was one of my favourite places to visit in the USA - we had planned on only two days there, but stayed for four, we enjoyed it so much.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,689 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time flyer, Dublin- Chicago- Nashville, help?

the warning about the ESTA is very relevant, so make sure you have completed it. my son-in-law was not told about it, and turned up at check in. he was told that he could complete it there at the internet terminal. unfortunately, when he tried to do this, the message came up that the site was closed for maintenance. the americans at the check would not help him,and he was not allowed to board. it cost him 500€ to reschedule for the next day.

Portarlington...
Level Contributor
526 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time flyer, Dublin- Chicago- Nashville, help?

The link below is a guide to US Preclearance at Dublin Airport

dublinairport.com/gns/…US-Preclearance.aspx

This is the link for ESTA. ( Electronic System for Travel Authorization )

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

8. Re: First time flyer, Dublin- Chicago- Nashville, help?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2014, 06:18