We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way from HI Express Airport hotel to city center

Georgia
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Best way from HI Express Airport hotel to city center

Hello,

We have a short stopover in Dublin and decide to stay at HI Express since we have an early morning flight out. What is the best way for us to travel from our hotel at HI Express Dublin airport to city center for a one day sightseeing. I know city center is large but we want to probably start at O'Connell street and do a walking tour around the city.

We are a family of 4 (2 adults - 2 children). Does kid (age 11 and 9) have to pay for bus fare? Is it better to pay for taxi from the hotel?

I tried to find the information online regarding the bus route but couldn't pull up the exact location of my hotel to find the bus route. Any detail recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Dublin
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Dublin Free Walking Tour
Walking Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours
Dublin Tour Guide - Private Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
14,717 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way from HI Express Airport hotel to city center

The HI has shuttle bus - take shuttle to airport and catch airport bus to centre. However with 4 of you a taxi from/to hotel wouldn't be much more expensive and would give you more time.

Personally I wouldn't stay at the airport. In the morning you'll use about the same time waiting for the shuttle as you would taking a taxi from the city. Take a taxi direct to a city centre hotel on arrival - you then have a base for a rest and fresh-up and have a great choice of restaurants etc. in the evening - which you won't get at the airport.

Note that the airport is very busy in the morning with all the airlines trying to get their planes up in the air and earning money - allow the full recommended time for check-in and security.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way from HI Express Airport hotel to city center

Take any inbound Dublin Bus from Swords Road, a short walk from the Holiday Inn Express. Routes 16, 16C,

A Dublin Bus Rambler 1 Day Family ticket for €11.50 would be best for your family. You can buy one at the Spar store at the airport and at most local convenience stores.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way from HI Express Airport hotel to city center

The 33 and 41/41A/41B/41C routes are also available from Swords Road.

Georgia
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way from HI Express Airport hotel to city center

@blawcleea, Thank you! Especially the tip about family ticket.

@dyoll, we would love to be able to stay at city center but unfortunately we redeeming our miles and there is no availability there. So I think it's the next best thing we can do there.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way from HI Express Airport hotel to city center

Here is a googlemap link, to show you the walk (5 minutes) from your hotel to the bus stop for the city centre - http://goo.gl/maps/FkC0q - it will be on the far side of Swords Road, opposite the little Venice restaurant. When you return from the city, you get off at stop, just beside that restaurant.

You might be interested in the free walking tour available in Dublin. When I say 'free', there is no charge for it, but at the end of the tour you can give the guide a tip, if you think the tour was good. I have been on the tour myself and it gives a fairly good but brief history of Dublin in the 3 hours that it lasts. Here are reviews on TA - tripadvisor.ie/Attraction_Review-g186605-d17… .

This tour is daily at 11.00AM and 1.00PM and starts at the City Hall in Dame St. If you get off the bus in O'Connell St, you have a 15 minute walk to the tour start point - http://goo.gl/maps/X8vlf

Georgia
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way from HI Express Airport hotel to city center

Awesome! Thank you!

7. Re: Best way from HI Express Airport hotel to city center

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2014, 05:18