We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dublin to dingle without a car?

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
usa
Level Contributor
107 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
dublin to dingle without a car?

I'm trying to get my husband from Dublin to Dingle (or somewhere else just as beautiful) without using a car. I'll be in Limerick for 4 days before he gets to Dublin form the US. I'll be taking the train from Dublin to Limerick. Is that the best route for him, too? And then without driving, is it possible to get from Limerick to Dingle?

We'll only have 3 days once he joins me in Ireland. Is getting to Dingle worth it? And if not, is there somewhere else you'd recommend?

Kerry
Level Contributor
621 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: dublin to dingle without a car?

Without a car ...better to base yourself in Killarney ...(you can get the train back to Dublin from there.)...take a day tour to Dingle ...also you have Killarney National Park.....on the edge of town....plenty of walking trails and cycle 'round it..+

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,935 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dublin to dingle without a car?

I agree with Kerry Eams. Killarney is far easier to get to initially than Dingle. And has far more options.

From Dublin to Dingle you'd need to get the train to Tralee (which if memory serves me right goes through Killarney!!) and then get a bus to Dingle.

You can take a number of day trips from Killarney.

www.derostours.com

www.oconnorautotours.ie

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,228 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dublin to dingle without a car?

Sound advice above. I would fully concur

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dublin to dingle without a car?

For journey planningm you can use http://www.a-b.ie/

In short, the two recommended routes are train to Tralee and bus to Dingle or by bus via Limerick.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,386 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dublin to dingle without a car?

"or somewhere else just as beautiful" ?? nuf said!

There are a whole lot of places on and around the Island of Ireland which offer as much and more than you can find on one of Ireland's smaller peninsula's

usa
Level Contributor
107 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dublin to dingle without a car?

Thanks. I'm going to keep planning. Killarney sounds like a better option if we don't rent a car.

Or maybe we'll just base in Dublin and take side trips from there. (Too much to see, too little time.)

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,386 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dublin to dingle without a car?

Killarney is great with options for guided tours running out from the town. Galway would be an alternative with trips ranging from The Arans (Inis Mor) or Connamra with either Kylemore or Cong and tours down to Clare for the Cliffs of Moher and Burren (you could do this on public transport as well).

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dublin to dingle without a car?

For 3 days in ireland id suggest stay in or near dublin, take the dart to howth, dun laoghaire, dalkey killiney bray, sunday afternoon session in the brazen head, temple bar good atmosphere but very overpriced, skip the guinness storehouse and go to local markets / pubs, also middle Ireland is often overlooked, but you'd need a car.

Just a few suggestions.

Cheers

T

9. Re: dublin to dingle without a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2014, 05:18