We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin visit at beginning or end of our trip?

Williams Lake...
Level Contributor
29 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Dublin visit at beginning or end of our trip?

We (husband, me, daughter aged 20, son aged 16) are travelling to Ireland from Vancouver Aug 13 to 27. We land in Dublin on Aug 14 after 12.5 hours of flying. We have two houses that are rent free for us...one in Tralee and one near Rossbeigh (sp?) Beach. My husband wants to head south the day we arrive and then tour Dublin at the end of our trip. I would like to rest up and explore Dublin for a couple of days first and then head south. Any advice from those who have Ireland experience?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,989 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin visit at beginning or end of our trip?

I don't like driving on arrival. And I'm only coming off a 5-hour time difference. Yours is...7 or 8?

My other factor in deciding to visit Dublin first is around the crowds and busy streets you sometimes encounter there. I find them a bit overwhelming at times if my previous days have been spent in more rural or small town locations.

And your destination on arrival are on the other side of the country, not like driving to a nearby location.

So far, I can't think of a single reason in favor of heading west first.:)

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,660 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin visit at beginning or end of our trip?

I totally agree with IrishFan. In addition to the reasons stated above, a good reason to go to Dublin first is that walking around is a great way to help recover from jet lag. If you are "forced" to do something and stay away until a reasonable hour (say 8pm), then your body will adjust better and more quickly to the time difference.

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin visit at beginning or end of our trip?

Agree with longhorn's advice.

If you can afford it, book hotel room(s) so it is available day of arrival. Bus/taxi to hotel;settle in and take a SHORT nap. Then walk about the area, go to tourist office near St Stephan's...find a nice venue for early dinner. 2 days in Dublin utilizing the HOHo tour buses, then pick up rental and head south/west. You will then be better able to enjoy and appreciate the scenery as well as drive/navigate rather than trying to driving from Dublin airport to County Kerry after a flight from Vancouver. As someone here on TA recently commented....Ireland may look like a small island,but it is a big country.

Also read the many comments re appropriate car size to accommodate your luggage. An often overlooked consideration when renting a car in Ireland.

Edited: 26 December 2013, 20:59
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,556 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin visit at beginning or end of our trip?

Were it me, I'd split my time two days in Dublin then ten in the south and back to Dublin for the final two.

Up to you though, come and enjoy.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
769 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin visit at beginning or end of our trip?

I was going to suggest as lordk says. Since we fly in and out of Dublin, we like to visit it first for a day. We don't stay in the city but we do stay on the LUAS line so we can relax during the ride. Then walk around, enjoy the sites, check out the shopping (don't buy tho because you have to carry around the rest of the trip). Then to finish up our trip, we again walk, window shop and buy things we saw during first visit. As much as I like rural Ireland, I still enjoy our time in Dublin, which is a very walkable city. Enjoy!!

Williams Lake...
Level Contributor
29 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin visit at beginning or end of our trip?

Thanks for all the great advice. We are so looking forward to a great adventure. I like the idea of a couple days at each end of the trip. HOHO bus seems very popular. We also like walking. We have done lots of travelling with our four kids, two who are now off the gravy train.

7. Re: Dublin visit at beginning or end of our trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2014, 05:16