We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Etihad Airlines

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Co.Meath, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Etihad Airlines

Our daughter had a horrendous "customer service" experience yesterday evening with ETIHAD AIRLINES at Dublin Airport.

She was in a check-in queue for over three hours; the check-in desks were hopelessly under-staffed, there was no one from ETIHAD AIRLINES visibly in charge, the communication to those in the queue about how the situation was being managed was non-existent and the check-in representative was unable to tell her whether she would make the onward connection from Abu Dhabi to Sydney.

As she boarded she was in tears with the sheer exasperation and frustration of the experience.

YOU HAVE NOW BEEN WARNED ABOUT ETIHAD AIRLINES - tread carefully.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Etihad Airlines

Etihad can have these problems to be sure. However, it is not clear whether any other airline does significantly better.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,258 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Etihad Airlines

Best you post on the Air Travel forum.

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
17 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Etihad Airlines

Flew from AUH to JFK and back. Comfy seats, good food, top quality entertainment but limited choice, and OK staff. The thing that ticked me off was the check-in policy at JFK. The staff was rude and wouldnt allow me to take my carry-on bag since it didnt fit the dimensions. I told them that the contents were displayed and there was nothing wrong with the bag. They wouldn't listen. Only after I adjusted the contents, they were convinced about the dimension. The staff insist that they will tag the carry on bag. But they would not 'bend' down. So much for their arrogance and ego. I had to lift the bag at our chest level and then they tagged it. What I found hypocritic was the fact that 70% of the carry-ons I saw during actual boarding were oversize. I wonder how they got past by the 2 obnoxious ladies during check-in! Also, they didnt follow any specific order while boarding - maybe since the flight was 50% empty.

Antarctica
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,252 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Etihad Airlines

Abu Dhabi is not in Dublin.... Nor is it in Milan.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
10,543 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Etihad Airlines

Quote from Wikipedia:

Etihad Airways has received over 30 awards since its inauguration in 2003. Etihad was awarded the World's Leading Airline in 2009,[32] 2010,[33] 2011[34] and 2012[35] by the World Travel Awards..

Despite an occasional failure still seems a better bet than most of the competition, all of which receive bad press from time to time.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
85 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Etihad Airlines

My experience with them has been suberb over and beyond most other airlines and they are considered a leading airline so I'm not sure this would put me off flying with them again. Sorry to hear she had a bad experience but all airlines have bad check-in queues at some point. I love flying AL from Dublin as they are well resourced but not so keen on the return trip for example when many times i have experienced bad, long check-in queues and service from their reps abroad elsewhere in europe.

V M
Englewood, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Etihad Airlines

i completely agree. i had a horrendous experience on May 2nd 2014. Do not fly Etihad unless you want to risk unprofessional service and getting downgraded. They recently downgraded me from business to economy at a whim on a long flight from Bangalore to New York in the longest leg. In addition to lying that they had chosen me as I was the only passenger that was traveling from Abu Dabi to New York alone on business class, they offered no alternatives and told me I had no choice if i needed to go to New York. And this was done literally 5 minutes into boarding when I had the boarding pass issued to me 10 hours earlier at Bangalore.

Tough luck if you are a business traveler needing a restful journey. It seems from your feedback that they have all round service quality issues. Avoid Etihad at all costs.

I have traveled other middle eastern airlines like Emirates and Qatar and the experiences with them on the other hand have always been great.

V M
Englewood, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Etihad Airlines

I had staff actually lie to me in Abu Dabhi, so I would say the service quality cannot be trusted. Not just were they rude but the manager lied to me that they had chosen to downgrade me from business to economy because I was the only person traveling alone ie. not part of a group. A quick walk and talk with the passengers told me that was a blatant lie which I knew it to be even when I was told that. I had a very disappointing experience and would strongly recommend against this airline.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
853 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Etihad Airlines

I have taken over a dozen flights with Etihad both to and with in the Middle East. They are in my experience one of the best airlines that I have used. From customer service, to seating to inflight meals they were excellent. I am wary of 2nd hand accounts of customer experiences.

10. Re: Etihad Airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2015, 07:16