We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trendiest resturant in Dublin for dinner?

Ipswich,UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Trendiest resturant in Dublin for dinner?

I am taking my brother and 2 others to Dublin on a surprise 50th treat. I want to take my brother to the "trendiest" and most memorable place to eat. What about the hotel owned by Bono? Also what is considered to be the best hotel in Dublin centre? Am I going to have to mortgage my house to finance this?

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
350 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trendiest resturant in Dublin for dinner?

Hi -

the hotel owned by Bono is the Clarence and has a really well respected restaurant - the Tea Rooms.

The best hotel in the city centre is all a matter of opinion - for old world charm I don't think you can beat the 5 star Merrion Hotel, located in a row of Georgian buildings. Lovely decor, rooms and very professional staff - has its own health club with pool - very unusual in the city centre.

The Westin is also a good choice for a high end hotel in Dublin or the Westbury (a bit dated looking but really outstanding service and location - just steps from Grafton Street and on the doorstep of the best shops and restuarants in the city).

As for the 'trendy' restaurant - not sure I'm trendy enough to offer an opinion - where is the 'in' place?? Dublin has some well established high end restaurants - Patrick Guildbaud, Chapter One, as for trendy, maybe the new Gary Rhodes restuarant on Capel Street? called 'D7' or Rhodes D7? or can anyone help me out? Haven't been - its only open a week or so but I expect it will attract a trendy crowd at first to check it out....

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Grafton Street
Grafton Street
3,692 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
635 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trendiest resturant in Dublin for dinner?

Well I suppose a trendy restaurant would be Cookes at the rear of the Powerscourt Townhouse Centre on Castle Market. It has a good reputation and famous types such as Bono frequent it. Does that qualify for trendy status?

Mentioned in this post
Powerscourt Townhouse Centre
Powerscourt Townhouse...
148 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trendiest resturant in Dublin for dinner?

Hi,

I'm not sure that the Tea Rooms at the Clarence are where I'd go. Fine if it's a busy night but when it's quiet it can be a bit sombre. Chapter One is always busy and is probably the best loved high-end place. One Pico is swish and impressive. I like Bang Cafe a lot, certainly trendy and the food is excellent though maybe the room is less of a wow than the others. Gary Rhodes place is nice and the food is very good but it doesn't feel luxurious, less of an occasion place I'd say. All of these have websites that you could check out. If it was me I'd go for Chapter One. You'll have to book well in advance. Pricewise, I'd be thinking €75 - 100 a head depending on how much and what you drink. You may indeed need to sell a child to finance a weekend in any of the best hotels: the Merrion, the Westin, the Conrad and the Clarence, all come in around €300 per night at the weekend. Brooks Hotel ranks highly on this site and would be a bit more reasonable. If you shop around you may find a deal. Good luck with it anyway.

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Ipswich,UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trendiest resturant in Dublin for dinner?

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I suppose by "trendy" I mean where to see and be seen as opposed to the best food from the top new chef in town (I know I should be ashamed but it is for my brothers big birthday). On the hotel front I have looked at the reviews on TripAdvisor and the Clarence sounds awful. Have had a look at the Conrad and for a Friday night it is Euros 220 for a double/twin with breakfast which is within price range. The suggestions are much appreciated and I can see i will get no work done today with all the time I am spending on the internet. Thanks

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trendiest resturant in Dublin for dinner?

Well, I might as well put my post here too, seeing as we are pretty much on the same subject. Ive been asked by my boyfriend's parents to suggest a nice restuarant for us to celebrate their 30th anniversary dinner in Dublin.

Im thinking Chapter One because Ive heard such great things about it. But rather than trendy, Im looking for nice, conversational atmosphere, quality food and decent-sized portions. They wont be impressed if they have to pay €50 for a main course morsel, piled in a little tower, on a plate decorated with 3 different reductions and a sprig of whatever herb is in fashion.

Also, as its their first time in ireland, I would ideally like some place with a little Irish character - French cuisine seems to dominate the michelin stars in Dublin, ike everywhere else. I look forward to your suggestions!

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
dublin
Level Contributor
183 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trendiest resturant in Dublin for dinner?

For some really good food at not exorbidant prices and with nice character Brownes on the green Jacobs ladder on nassau street and eden on meeting house square are all good bets.A real traditional fish restaurant is the lord edward I think its one of Dublins longest established restaurants. Dobbins has recently been refurbished and might be worth trying. Chapter one is hard to beat for a special occassion.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trendiest resturant in Dublin for dinner?

Thanks society - I will check those out.

Ireland
Level Contributor
679 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trendiest resturant in Dublin for dinner?

The restaurants noted above are all pretty special. For TRENDY though- I would suggest any of the following:

Eden, Meeting house square, Temple Bar

Mermaid Cafe, Dame Street

L'Gueleteon, Fade Street

Brasserie Sixty6, Georges Street

Cookes Brasserie as noted above

Cafe Bang, Baggott Street

dublin ireland
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trendiest resturant in Dublin for dinner?

just thought i'd add my vote to the rest - for really great food and the best most convivial atmosphere its got to be Chapter One - the maitre d' must be one of the best in the business and the result is a restaurant that's always alive and manages that great combination of being both 'up-market' and yet friendly. the food is without doubt some of the best in dublin - never fails to get rave reviews. for really, really upmarket - Patrick Guilbauds in the merrion hotel wins hands down - has a Michelin star as far as I know and food deserves it - a notch pricier than chapter one and slightly more stuffy but if you want a real 'foodie' experience then its the one. there's also L'Ecrivain in Baggott street - again like Guilbauds it has terrific food and is pricey - but is prob my favourite restaurant in the city when I want to really splash out - something about it that i love - maybe its just a little less 'stuffy' or something than Guilbauds ..not sure why its my favourite. word of warning - for any of these you need to make advance reservations - and they'll do a ''birthday cake' type desert if you ask when booking!

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
267 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trendiest resturant in Dublin for dinner?

What about Thorntons in the Fitzsimons hotel. isnt it a Michelin 2 star restaurant.